Moved On

Moved On

Derricks’ POV

            My mate climbs into the front seat of the SUV after buckling our two year old son into his car seat. Last year Henry was sick, so she wasn’t able to attend the party, but I was glad that she would be going with me this year. It took me a long time to fully open my heart to her. Kathleen understood what I was going through, and she helped me find the light again.

            I smile as I hear the shrieks of laughter spilling from Ryan’s twin boys. Every time I see them, I couldn’t help but see Henri in their eyes. Ryan found his mate a year after Henri’s death. Out of all of us, he and Gabriel were hit the hardest when we couldn’t find her body. But that didn’t stop us from placing a tombstone in the pack cemetery with her name and dates inscribed on it.

            “Come on Aaron. We’re going to be late if you don’t get a move on dude!” I call out as I rev the engine. Most of the guys have finally come around back to the way we were before we lost our sister. All except for Aaron, he never returned to his old self. Instead, he became more withdrawn and serious. I knew that if he didn’t find his mate soon, there was a good chance that we’d lose him completely.

            Aaron slides into the back seat and shuts the door softly to avoid waking my son. I shoot him a smile through the rearview mirror, but he just nods at me and looks out the window. Kathleen squeezes my hand and I give her a smile. It hurt to see my old friend like this. I hear Gabe’s voice in my head as I start the car.

            Hey Dare, have y’all left yet?

            We’re just about to pull out of the drive. What do you need?

Nothing really, man. I was just talking with Ellen when I remembered what today was. I didn’t even realize it. I’ve been trying to move on and I thought I had. But I swear Derrick that I saw her today. That’s not even possible, is it? I could hear the panic in his voice. It took Gabe and Ellen two long years to work things out. But it was work it. They had a pair of three year old twins.

I knew who he was talking about the second he mentioned the date. When I woke up this morning, I knew what day it was. Today marked the day of Henri’s death. She’s been gone for six years now, and the pain has dulled but it’s still there. Gabe, I don’t know what to say man. I can swear that I hear her laugh or her voice when I’m in a meeting and the next thing I know, I scanning the room looking for her. I think we’re acting like this because we miss her and we weren’t able to say goodbye properly.

Look, just put it out of your mind. At least until this party’s over and we can talk about it some more. Deal?

Deal. He leaves me alone and I sigh softly. I knew that Kathleen was worried about me, but I also knew that she wouldn’t say a word about it until I brought it up. Giving her hand a gentle squeeze, I concentrate on the drive. Only two hours until we get to the get together at Stephen’s pack, and two hours of acting like everything was just peachy keen.

Aaron’s POV

I know that Derrick was worried about me. Heck, even I was worried about me. But with each passing year, I just kept withdrawing more and more into myself. I shift at least four times a month, but only because my wolf needs to run. Letting out a sigh, I pull out my phone and start to look through the pictures of Henri and I.

When I couldn’t find her body after the little skirmish, I panicked. For months, I would search the woods in every direction until I finally gave up all hope. I missed her something fierce. Shaking my head slowly, I remember the day that I came back to the pack house to get something and finding a letter she wrote to me just days before we left to help her old pack.

She told me that she was so proud to call me her brother that she loved me, and would always watch out for me no matter the cost she had to pay. Out of all the guys, Dean, I and Henri were the closest. Dare used to call us the three Musketeers.  

Pulling a small necklace from under my shirt, I feel the familiar burn of the bane stone. It was the only thing I found on that stone table. It was just large enough to be made into a little charm necklace. But it was still able to hide my scent from others except for alphas.

Closing my eyes, I will the next two hours to pass quickly. I didn’t want to attend this year, but I knew that Dare wouldn’t leave me at the house alone. He was scared that I would try to commit suicide or something. I wasn’t that far gone just yet. For a hunter, she had settled into life as our Luna rather well. That I still didn’t quite trust her. How long would it take for a wolf to fully trust a hunter?