Apocalypse's Horsemen [31]

Chapter 31

Turning my head, I found that none of the angels were anywhere close. My head turned from side to side but I was only met with the faces of strangers. I bit my lip and eyed the metal. My eyes lifted to the bouncers. This was going to hurt.

Further down the line, an over eager spectator hopped over the barrier, the bouncers converged on the screaming boy as he stared at the stage in rapture, his arms stretched up towards his idol. Taking advantage, my placed both hands on the barrier and pushed my body up.

The barrier trembled as I forced myself up so that I was standing tall, balancing on the metal that was narrower than my foot. With my arms held out to my sides I searched the crowd. It was so hard to tell one face from another in the flashing stage lights but I finally picked out Clementine who had taken up point on Zeke’s shoulders. I waved to get her attention.

She waved back before turn leaning down to speak to Zeke. His hands released Clem’s leg long enough to wave.

I pointed my hand up to the stage, nodded my head at the bubbly red head as she enthralled the audience. Clem’s lips pressed into a thin line as she followed my gaze, lifting her hand she whirled it above several times before pointing towards the stage. Most ignored her but the other angels took the signal and started to move.

My attention was so focused on them that I didn’t notice the sudden arrival of the security staff until there was a tap on my leg.

“Miss, you need to get down from there.” One placed his hand on his waistband, to the spot where his gun was strapped to his belt.

I raised my hands in a placating gesture. And then the fence wobbled. The bouncers held out their hands as if to catch me but I was already in motion, I pushed off with both feet. I somersaulted through the air, my knees tucked in tight to my body as I rotated. I landed on the balls of my feet, arms out to my sides. Lifting my head, I smirked at the bouncers who were too busy gaping at me to realise that I was now on the other side of the barrier.

Placing one foot back and then another, I backed away from the group of the burley men and then I ran. My feet pounded against the floor. I could barely hear their shouts over the music that was now pounding out of the speakers but I knew that they were in pursuit. Some men appeared before me so I dropped to the floor quickly. My momentum allowed me to slip through their legs, skidding along the floor before I forced myself back onto my feet and kept on going. Objects littered my path but I jumped over them all with ease.

Up ahead I could see the stairs to the stage. I pushed myself harder but when I was mere feet away someone dove at me from behind and wrapped their arm around my leg. I teetered and fell forwards. Throwing my arms out in front of me, I stopped my face from smashing into the floor but the rest of my body felt the impact. Weight quickly settled on my back and someone wrenched at my arms pulling them behind me.

Growling, I closed my eyes and tried to think. It was hard with cacophony battering at me from all sides and the man on my back. There was a way to get him off with ease but it would kind of mean that the entire world would get proof that Angels really do exist.

Cable ties were attached around my wrists before I was yanked up sharply by the security team. It lifted my head and tried not to giggle at the men who were all breathless, staring down at me. Their mouths were moving but I could not hear a word that they were saying.

I breathed deeply, doing my best to keep centred and calm. Over their shoulders, I watched as several people leapt over the metal barrier. Gabriel turned and lifted Binah over, setting her gently on her feet before taking off for the opposite side of the stage. I smiled and met the gaze of the bouncers. They frowned, looking from one another. They had a right to be confused, they had me caught and yet I was smiling.