Apocalypse's Horsemen [25]

Chapter 25

The scene that we arrived to was something out of a film. Blood splattered the walls and body parts littered the floors. Despite everything that had happened so far, it was this gory scene which made the bile rise up in my throat and a wave of dizziness to overcome me. Death was something I had seen more than a few times but this was just unnecessary.

A headless body lay only a few feet away from me. I could not find the other piece of the angel. He had been torn apart, piece by piece until there was no way to identify which parts actually belonged to him and which parts belonged to his comrades. A small scream escaped my throat when the body twitched.

“Is he still alive?” I asked, turning my head to the Angel at my side. I was surprised to see Gabriel right there beside me. He wasn’t supposed to be here. I supposed that the angels had called in reinforcements once the battle had begun but the momentary relief at seeing him was soon doused by the expression on his face.

 The grim set to his mouth was all the answer I needed to my previous question.

 “How?”

“We are not human Savannah. His body is in tatters but his spirit has not been affected by this attack.” His eye twitched as he moved through the room, stepped over the limbs casually. “He will live but he will not be the same.”

I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to ignore the wet sounds as my booted feet moved over the floor. My wounds were minimal in comparison to this. I suddenly felt very lucky.

“Are they aware?” Again I was afraid of the answer, and felt incredibly ill when Gabriel nodded his head.

None of the angels made a move to gather the pieces. Apart from the twitching body parts, there were no other signs of life within the room. Where had the Horseman gone? I held myself taught as my eyes searched every nook and cranny. Someone had been preparing for a party. There were decorations hanging from the ceilings and tables had been set up around the room. The once pristine white table clothes were now in tatters, the tables turned on their sides. It was carnage.

It also meant that there were plenty of places that someone could hide. The overly large faux Grecian pillars obstructed out view so that we had to move several steps to the side to see what was even on the other side.

A chuckle came from directly behind me. There was no mirth in the sound and it caused goosebumps to form on my skin. I spun around with my sword poised and ready, expecting to come face to face with someone. There wasn’t a face to expect, not with these adversaries.

The space was empty. I shook my head but kept myself alert as I swept my attention around the room, searching and hoping to find the elusive horseman.

Nothing.

The anticipation was killing me and Death would not be rushed. I’m not even sure why I thought it was him. Something about the cold way that these angels had been broken and left haphazardly on the floor felt like his handiwork. Famine was cruel and more than a little depraved. He probably would have leaned towards cannibalism if there was enough of his kind to do so.

Death? He had his own motives and they were his alone. There was no fuss or play with the way that these bodies had been ripped apart. They had just been torn apart and then dropped to the floor once the deed was done.

“I warned you to stay out of the way Miss Holmes.” A voice whispered so close to me that I actually felt his hot breath blow against my neck.

I whipped around, my sword following the movement but again there was no one directly behind me. I tried not to let a blush form on my cheeks when I noted that several angels had turned their attention to me. Several wore frowns and were shaking their head like I was a severe annoyance. Did they not just see me get mauled by Famine?