Apocalypse's Horsemen [26]

Chapter 26

I was told that he would live. Lucius was old. His spirit was strong and his body would mend. That was all I could be told. They couldn’t tell me when he would only wake up just that it would happen. When Death had plunged his hand into Lucius chest, he had torn not only at his body but at his spirit as well. Apparently it was rare that someone could do that without a specially forged weapon. It was why angels rarely died unless at the hand of a Demon or another Angel.

I shook my head to push away the morose thoughts. It helped nothing. Lucius had been taken by Hades and was now under the loving care of Aurelia.

Satani Media had been obliterated in the meteor strike. The top twenty storeys had been wiped out of existence while the lower levels had been structurally compromised. The entire building would need to be levelled and rebuilt. But that was like most of the city. Search and rescue teams were still pulling people from the rubble and several buildings were still on fire. The damage was nowhere near finished.

I rubbed at my temples as I paced back and forth. I was finally at home – my home. The place felt lifeless and I felt uncomfortable being within its walls. Being alone and with my family missing or on the brink of death, the house was a hollow reminder of what I had had only a few short weeks ago.

Taking a deep breath, I let loose a sigh before dropping onto the sofa.

Two of the three Horsemen had been detained and were under close guard. They would be taken to the Minotaur’s maze at a later date once War had been apprehended. The maze would then be sealed by the blood of Angels, Demons and Humans to fortify the seal.

Even without their living embodiments roaming the planet; Death, War and Famine would continue to reap havoc on the world. Their power was too strong and without it, life would cease to exist. It didn’t mean I had to like it.

Zeke entered the room, his arms laden with a tea tray as he ducked through the doorway. He offered me a smile before placing the tray on the table and then handing me a perfectly brewed cup of tea. I took it between my palms, blowing across the top before taking a sip. I sighed.

“We have some news.”

Zeke did not look at me as he spoke. Instead he busied himself with his own mug before taking a seat opposite me. My heart constricted in my chest as I waited for the bad news. It had to be bad news otherwise he would have looked at me – right?

“Is it Danny? Is it Lucius? Oh god, please tell me that they are okay.” My hands trembled around the cup causing hot tea to spill on to my skin. It was only a minor annoyance.

Finally he lifted his head and the smile that stretched across his lips was so wide that I allowed relief to course through me.

“We’ve found the children.”

I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply.

“Where?” My voice trembled as I tried to stop myself from leaping across the room and shaking the Angel hard enough for him to give me some answers.

“With Calantha.”

I frowned when he didn’t expand any further.

“Where? I want to see Danny and the children; I need to check they are alright.”

Zeke placed his tea on the table before lifting his eyes to meet mine.

“You can’t – at least, you can’t right now.”

I balked.

“Why not? He is my son. I need to see him.”

With movements so fast that I struggled to track them, Zeke crossed the room and knelt before me. He took my cup from my grasp and placed it on the table before taking my hands in his.