Apocalypse's Horsemen [15]

Chapter Fifteen

Bright sunlight taunted me as it spilled through the window and made the broken glass twinkle like merry Christmas lights. But there was nothing merry about the situation that we once again found ourselves in.  We had considered returning to HQ but with the eyes of the horsemen painting targets on our back that was definitely not an option. Besides, in this house, there was less chance of collateral damage should the Horsemen finally decide to make their move.

I slumped down onto one of the few pieces of furniture that had remained intact and rubbed my hand down my tired face.  My eyes ached with the need to cry and vent my emotions but I had cried far too much.

Since this had all started, I had tried to be strong. I had tried to hold it all together but I found myself sobbing far too often. I was only human. Or at least I only felt human and sometimes I struggled to remember that I was now something more powerful. I had changed in my body but my heart and my mind still had not connected the dots. I suppose angelic swords and beautiful wings did not make a person brave or courageous. That was something that could only be found within.

And to think that there was so much more change to come. I still had not read the entirety of my destiny. It was etched onto my own back, written in runes of angelic, demonic and earthly origin. I had a clue that my life was bound up with Lucius but it was one thing to be told that your future had already been written out for you.  It was another thing entirely to know that what that future entailed.

With a shake of the head, I gritted my teeth and tapped at the screen of the i-pad Lucius had helpfully retrieved from his car. The news was eerily empty of any real news - unless you counted a squirrel guessing the outcome of the latest football match news.

It was too quiet.

The children were gone and the horsemen were not causing any trouble.  Did that mean that they had them? 

I bit my tongue to drag myself out of those thoughts.

“Anything?” Lucius brushed a kiss onto my hair before stepping past me. His footsteps crunched as he moved through the room.

“No.” I laughed but there was little humour.

“We’ll take that as a good thing. No news means there have not been any deaths.”

“You mean no deaths that the news channels actually care about. Yes I suppose it is good news but it also means that we have no idea where our supposed saviour is. It’s completely ridiculous that we are pinning all of our hopes on a being that we won’t even recognise should they stand nose to nose with us.” I drew in a deep breath and tried not to let the hysteria overwhelm me. “We’re clueless here Lucius. We have no plan and all I am running on right now is hope. Hope that our crazy luck will prevail once more and we will somehow survive this new threat. That we will somehow win even with all these odds stacked against us.”

I rubbed my forehead and offered him the I-pad. 

“We will do this Savannah. We have to.” 

He took the device from my hand before threading his fingers through mine and giving them a squeeze.

“I just got a call from Clem. The others Halflings have been moved. Calantha had called in some favours from her family.” He gulped loudly.

I closed my eyes on instinct. I knew that whatever he was going to say next, I was not going to like at all.

“Just tell me.”

“They haven’t had any communication from Calantha since earlier this morning and none of the children have turned up.” He cleared his throat and squeezed my hand tighter. “They are missing.”