Apocalypse's Horsemen [28]

Chapter 28

I hate mornings. The thought played over and over in my head as I tried my best to go back to sleep. The beam of early morning light spilling through the gap in the curtains had no qualms about waking me up far too early. I scrunched my eyes closed even tighter but it was futile.

A groan escaped my lips as I laid there in my bed. Everything ached; my mind, my body and even my soul. It felt like I had been put through the ringer and I was now left battered and bruised. And yet, despite this, I felt better than I had the day before. My body and spirt felt lighter. My mind did not feel so shadowed.

"You're awake."

I cracked open my eyes and immediately looked upon Binah. She was in the doorway to the room, tray in hand with a bowl of steaming soup on top.

"Just something light while you recover. Your body will not be able to handle solids for a day or two."

I grunted and tried to push myself up but soon found that my arms had no strength. I lay upon my pillows, breathless and more than a little helpless.  But I was in my own room. It was a small comfort. I supposed she couldn't really have left me in my own blood. I actually felt rather clean and I could even feel the soft luxurious feel of silk on my skin.

I sighed.

The sound brought a look of worry onto the other woman's face. She crossed my room in two great strides, stopping only when she reached my bed side.

"Do not exhaust yourself. You survived last night but your immortality should not be taken for granted. You still need to heal. "

Thoroughly chastised, I laid there and waited for her to set the tray beside my bed. She then wrapped her arms under my shoulder and hoisted me upright, moving the pillows behind my back so that I could remain upright without straining myself too much.

"Thank you." I murmured.

"How are you feeling?" Binah asked as she pressed the back of hand to my forehead.

"Fine, a little worn out but that's to be expected."

Withdrawing her hand, she busied herself with tucking the covers around me and smoothing out the creases. I placed a stilling hand on her.

"Stop."

The panic on her face made me feel more than a little guilt. She turned her head away from me so that I could not see the emotions that continued to play across her features.

"Look at me Binah."

When she would not turn, I tugged on her arm and forced her down to my level.

"Look at me."

She turned her head slowly – reluctantly.

"I will not tell anyone. I will keep your secret."

Binah breathed out a sigh of relief and made to stand but I refused to release her.

"I will not tell your secret but I ask that you confide in Lucius when he wakes. He cannot be kept in the dark on this." I felt her body tense under my grip but after a minute of silence, she gave a stiff nod. "Good, now what soup have we got? It smells delicious."

We fell into an amicable silence. I obediently opened my mouth when she offered up the spoon but we did not meet one another's eyes. It was like it was forbidden. Once the bowl was emptied, Binah stood from the bed. She moved around the room slowly, adjusting things. She opened the curtains and opened the windows. She took great care with these actions but I couldn't help but notice that she looked a little worse for wear. Her hair had come loose and hung around her face in a messy tangle and her crinkled sari hung limply from her body.