Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

February 25, 2014

          Octavia Anderson was raised by one of the witches in her grandmother’s coven. “Aunt” Penny taught her everything over the years.  She learned how to mix herbs and to do spells. She still remembers the first one she learned:

A piece of you

And a piece of me

Makes us who

We’re supposed to be

A drop of blood

And a piece of hair

That’s all it takes

To make us a pair

So Mote It Be

        This is the spell that she is supposed to say with her sister when they meet for the first time. She would be meeting Olivia in just a few days. They are to meet on their 18th birthday, but when you are born on Leap Year that’s kind of hard to do.

          They are set to meet on the 28th of February to do the spell at exactly midnight. As soon as the spell is spoken, they will both receive the rest of their powers.  She was excited and nervous at the same time.

        Her mother would come to spend every other week with her. The other weeks she would spend with Olivia.

          When her mother was with her, Maggie would help with her training. She helped with everything from learning all the herbs to showing her how to write her own spells.

          Since this was the last week of their separation, Maggie was switching houses every other day. Today she was with Octavia.

          “Mom, I’m so nervous about meeting Olivia. What if we don’t get along with each other? What if we do the spell and nothing happens?”

          “Everything will be fine. You guys are twins. You are one half of the other. Everything will be as it should once you meet and perform the spell,” her mother replied.

          Octavia believed everything that her mother was saying about her sister. But that still didn’t stop her nervousness.

          Maggie had told Octavia that she was the more reserved twin. Apparently, Olivia was wild. Octavia really hadn’t been very wild. She was more interested in learning her craft.

          Octavia liked to read. Her favorite was learning everything she could about the craft. She was interested in writing her own spells.

        That was her power, she could be in any situation and instantly make up a spell that is perfect for that situation. She started her own Book of Shadows when she was eight years old. She added new spells at least once a week. She was so excited about sharing this with her sister.

          Octavia wanted to get out of the house, but she didn’t want to leave while her mother was there. Instead, she decided to go to her room and call her best friend, Jake, who was also a witch.

Octavia and Jake, had been friends since the sixth grade. They tried dating once when they were freshmen in high school, but decided that they were better as friends.