Chapter 22

The room they entered was large.  Four stands with orbs floating above were set around a large circle on the floor.  Silver runes ran throughout the circle, glowing with energy.  Moonlight illuminated the room through a multi-paned glass dome above.

Teleport circles were rare and only the most powerful wizards had them.  Tathan had only seen one before and it was much smaller with space for just one person.  This was a grand room and the circle was large enough for them all to stand in with room to spare.

Jarrrn Garrrn gestured while making a multilayered sound with his voices.  Magical light globes around the room began to glow.  The four floating orbs above the stands started to spin rapidly, while the runes in the floor grew bright.

“This is my teleport room.  You are to walk slowly without touching anything,” he warned them.  “This room and the teleport circle took nine years to build.  You could damage it by being careless.”

Tathan noticed that the Rojuun’s hands were all on knives.  He had no doubt Jarrrn Garrrn would do his very best to kill them should they not agree.  “We’ll be extremely careful, Master Garrrn,” Tathan reassured him.

“Very good,” he replied, relaxing a little.  “I do not normally transport humans, but the distance is great and the sooner I get you to my home, the better.”  He motioned for them to stay while he went to each of the orbs, making gestures and chanting in quiet tones.

“I want one of these in my lair,” stated Vevin.  “Oh yes I do!  This is wonderful!”  The dragon was barely restraining himself from doing a dance so as not to upset their employer.

Jarrrn Garrrn still didn’t seem to notice Vevin as he came back over to the companions.  “I will take you to your place in the circle one at a time.  You are to stand completely still once there.”  He motioned for Tathan to follow him first.

Tathan walked slowly behind the Rojuun and moved to the spot indicated.  Liselle and Sir Danth were next.  He placed them all so they were facing back toward the door they had entered.  When it came time to place Vevin, Jarrrn did a double take before shaking his head as if to clear cobwebs.  He led Vevin to his place in the circle.

Once they were set, Jarrrn strode to the middle of the circle.  He took one last look to see that the companions were in their correct places.  His gaze lingered on Vevin for an extra moment, who simply stared straight ahead, ignoring the Rojuun.

“Now we will teleport,” Jarrrn said.  “I need you to keep your minds and bodies as relaxed as possible.  It will feel as though your soul is being held while your body is magically moved from one place to the next.  I will not explain the process, but rest assured that all will be well.”

Tathan didn’t know what to expect.  He took a deep breath, relaxing his mind and body.

Jarrrn began speaking in the multilayered tone he had used on the floating orbs.  His arms were outstretched and his head was back.  A magical breeze began to flow from in front of the Rojuun, ruffling a few loose hairs in his braids and blowing the hem of his robe back.  Silver tendrils of power flowed from his hands out to the orbs.  Power gathered around them, spinning down through channels on the pedestals to the runes within the circle.

Time slowed for Tathan.  Everything became blurry and then ceased to exist, including his body.  There was no sound, smell, sight, substance or . . . anything.  It felt as though he were in a soft cocoon of nothingness.  The universe shifted around him, but only an infinitesimal amount.  He had the impression that the universe wasn’t aware of him, nor did it care.

Then everything became blurry again and reappeared.  Only they weren’t in the same room.  The teleport circle was still there as were the orbs and pedestals, but the room itself was different.  He looked up and saw a glass paneled dome above them, but there was no moon or stars, just a soft glow from a cavern ceiling high above.