Chapter 30

“I’m fine,” Liselle said in frustration.  She was determined to go with them today no matter what they said.  She wasn’t completely back up to strength, but was well enough to take care of any minor healing that needed to be done and could also throw a fireball or two if a sstejj got too close.  “I’m not going to cast fire throughout the caverns.  I’ll do only what I’m able to do and that much only if necessary.”

“I’m not convinced, Cousin.”  Tathan stood with his arms crossed.  “The healer said two weeks, not four days.”  He held up a hand to prevent more argument.  “I know you understand what you’re able to handle better than anyone.  I also know that you won’t strain yourself if you can avoid it.”  He took a deep breath and continued.  “But those creatures don’t stop coming and you may not be able to avoid using magic.”

“I can!” exclaimed Vevin leaping to her defense.  “I will keep her with me and make sure that she gets to safety if things get that bad.”  He stepped toward Tathan.  “You know I’ll protect her with my life, Tathan Friend.  You know that nothing can stop me from keeping her safe.”

Tathan sighed.  Having Vevin spend all of his time with Liselle wasn’t the solution he was looking for.  “I know, Vevin.”  He sighed again when he noticed his cousin smiled at the idea.  Tathan wanted to argue more or even put his foot down, but had the wisdom to know that wouldn’t go well for him.  “Alright.  If things get bad, Vevin is to get you to safety,” he said to Liselle.  “I know you can take care of yourself, but I want to be smart about this and not stress your powers too soon.”

“I agree to that, Tathan.”  Liselle came over and gave him a big hug, holding him tight.  It felt good and relieved some of his tension.  “So let’s go,” she said eagerly, grabbing the picnic lunch she had packed for them.

Tathan sighed again, leading the way through the door.  They met Marrraa and the trainees outside the main entry then headed to the cavern.  Marrraa glanced at Liselle then gave Tathan a questioning look.  He shrugged and said, “She’s going to limit her magic and if things get bad, Vevin will get her to safety.”

Marrraa nodded in response.  A short while later they were back at the gate at the end of the tunnel.  There were only a few sstejj this time.  Marrraa let Sir Danth through the door and he quickly dispatched them.  Tathan, Marrraa, and the knight scouted ahead, finding one more small pack, which they let the trainees dispatch.

The warriors led the builders to the right, heading toward a tunnel past the two that had been gated the day before.  They came across two more packs, one of which Tathan handled with Aaruulaa’s help.  Once again, he let her do most of the fighting, though he did take out one of the creatures that headed toward the builders.  Marrraa and her sister took out the other pack.  She let Turrr kill all but one as well.  The young trainee walked back with a large smile on her face.

Tathan had a bad feeling.  Part of it was that there should be more sstejj trying to get to them, especially since the companions had taken yesterday off.  He also felt unreasonably worried for Liselle.

Mostly, he just had a very bad feeling about things.  He used to trust those bad feelings, but he had cut through so much empty air lately that he wasn’t sure anymore.  They were doing everything right and it should be safe.  He was certain they could handle any sstejj intrusion.  After a few moments of restlessness, he moved next to the knight.  “Sir Danth, I have a sense of dread and I can’t shake it,” he said quietly.

“I am certain Lady Liselle would not have come out were she not feeling well enough.  She does not strike me as a fool.”

Tathan shook his head.  “It’s not Liselle, it’s just a general sense of dread, like something is wrong.  I can’t place it.”