Chapter 19

The White Tree Inn was a two-level whitewashed building with a grey roof that took up half the block it was on.  The other half of the block consisted of stables and a yard.  In addition to the sparkly white wings on the inn, there were dark green wings on the empty stable.  Glass windows were set in the lower windows and shutters at the upper windows were open.

Tathan gave Athron a silver for his trouble and waved him away.  “Thank you for bringing us here lad.”

The boy took it and ran off the way they had come.

“This looks like it’ll be a good place to stay,” Tathan said.  We’ll have to see how much it is.  I have some money, but it’s not wise to waste it.”

“Oh!  I have money,” Vevin said.  Then his face fell.  “But he took it from me and I don’t have treasure or even money now.”  The dragon moved side to side in a sad dance.

“It’s alright, Vevin,” Liselle said with a hand on his arm.  “We’ll get you some new treasure.  Don’t worry about it for now.  Just having you here is treasure enough for us.”  She smiled wide at him in reassurance.

“Oh, thank you!”  Vevin went back to doing his happy dance once more.

“Alas, I also have no money.  Knights do not often need it.  Even then, I used to be wealthy before my honorable duty, but I released all physical possessions when I swore my vow,” Sir Danth said.  “As you saw, there was no longer any money in the royal vault either, so grabbing some gold for expenses was not an option.”

“That’s alright.  As I said, I have money,” Tathan reassured them.  “I have no idea what costs are here or how much we’ll be able to make when we do get a job.  Let me handle the finances and negotiations for rooms and services.”

The party went in the double door entrance made of fine wood, which swung on well-oiled hinges.  Tathan realized such doors would be expensive here with as difficult as it must be to get lumber from the forest.  The scent of warm food wafted through the common room from the kitchen.  He hoped accommodations wouldn’t be too costly.  There were a few gems in his purse, stolen in his travels.  He could use them, but didn’t like to do so.  In some ways, he was just as much of a treasure hunter as Vevin.

Some of the money, a few of the gems and some minor jewelry had been scavenged from the warriors who had attacked their home.  He had divided it into two equal purses, one for him and one for Liselle.  Tathan had had never figured out how to talk to her about it, so hadn’t given it to her.

The large common room had few people in it.  Tathan noticed the straw on the stone floor was clean, as were the tables.  A small fire crackled in the main fireplace, keeping the temperature pleasant.  A few patrons noted the party’s arrival, but no one stared.

“Hello there travelers!” a tall, heavyset woman said with a great smile.  She stood at the bar, cleaning mugs.  Her hair was strawberry blonde and she had a ruddy complexion.  “I’ve not seen you in town.  Come have a seat and tell me of yourselves.”  Her voice was loud and cheerful as she waved them over to the bar with a thick hand.  “It’s a pleasure to see you.  Dinner’s just about ready if you’re hungry.”

Liselle sat on one of the bar stools.  “That would be wonderful.  The food smells delicious.”  Indeed, mouthwatering aromas were emanating from beyond swinging doors at the far right of the bar.

“It is superb.  My sister, Renna is the best cook you’ll find in this town,” she stated confidently.  “I’m Hulda, by the way.  The White Tree Inn is my pride and joy, though we don’t get many customers at the moment.”

“Why don’t you get customers?” Tathan asked, though Athron had already told him.  Sometimes, it was good to hear a story from different people.  It could lead to new information.