Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Letum stared at the starry night sky, while listening to the wind spirits tell their mischievous stories. Run… Letum looked around in confusion, for he could not find the source of that raspy whisper. Go now! It’s coming!

Letum looked at Lucian in hopping he might of heard that odd voice too. “Hey Lucian. Did you hear that?”

Lucian looked up at his mentor. “Why are you so paranoid lately? You should just leave it alone, it was most likely nothing,” Lucian teased.

“You’re probably right,” Letum reluctantly replied.

Hurry! He’s coming… run! The voice sounded more urgent. Letum jumped, now he was sure what he herd was real.

“Lucian, get back to the village.” Letum said seriously.

Lucian glared at his mentor. Why was Letum upset all the sudden? His master was always calm, even in the face of death he never lost his calm stature. Was something terrible enough to agitate is master really coming? Lucian slowly scanned the area looking for whatever beast could be lurking. “All right. I guess I will see you at the inn” Lucian gradually walked away, down the steep hill once again.

Letum watched Lucian walked down the steep hill side.

Soon after, Lucian was out of Letum’s eyesight, he narrowed his gaze towards the shadows dancing under the old tree. “You can come out now.” Letum paused. “There is no use hiding, I know you’re there.”

A small creature pulled itself out of the shadow’s grasp. The creature’s boney fingers tore through the ground beneath them. The creature’s eyes were a deep golden yellow, its flesh was a dark muddy grey, and it had very few teeth. The disgusting thing looked up at the man and smiled. This man would be the perfect sacrifice for my master… yes master would forgive me, if I offer him this delicious human! The creature lunged at the Letum screaming. Letum just stood there grinning. When the creature was less than an inch away from reaching the man, it froze. The creature was stunned. How can this be happing, this man should have no magical talent. I couldn’t sense anything from him! The creature looked at Letum with its narrow eyes.

Letum began to speak: “Now that was rude. You should have introduced yourself first.”

The creature hissed. “Shut up! You are nothing but food for my master! Scratch that, you are not worthy to be called his food! You are trash!” he paused “…you are trash”

Letum laughed. “Are you done? I have some business to attend to.”

Letum looked up at the stars, reading the tales they told. “I am going to let you go now, and be on my way.” Letum turn towards the rocky path that leads to town. He turned his head to the beast. “Ciao.” He started walking.

At the very moment he said ciao the creature felled to the ground. The creature looked at Letum. I must kill him! I can’t let him disgrace me like this! The creature pulled a dagger from his side belt, and then he threw it at Letum. The dagger disappeared in mid-air, and reappear in the Letum’s right hand. Letum shook his head. Soon after, there was a blood curdling scream coming from the creature, and then all was silent.

“Now that’s all done…”Still twirling the knife between his fingers. “…I can have some peace and quite.” What are you? The voice came again. Letum froze

“The question is; what are you?” Once again he looked up at the sky. “Oh by the way, thanks for warning me, I didn’t have to show my true…” Letum though for a moment. “… I guess you can say one of my true powers”