Chapter One

Chapter one

The day was a bitter cold. It was a type of cold where it made the day more dreadful than beautiful. This year had been colder than most. Letum Deicide, a wizard prodigy, once said: “It was mankind’s punishment for not pleasing the gods as they should.”

There was an enormous tree sitting on top of a hill, and next to that tree lay a boy watching the vast blue sky, and listing to his teacher’s lecture about the transfer of sprite energy.

The man reached over and tapped the boy on his side. “Hey Lucian! Are you paying attention?”

Lucian glared at his teacher. “Yes Letum, I was listening. You were talking about how we can control manna with thought instead of saying an incantation, but I don’t understand how this will help me though. You are the only one that we know of, that can do that.”

“Okay, I will let you take a break for now, but during this break I want you to ponder the idea of the use of your thoughts to cast a spell.” Letum sighed.

“If you say so” Lucian closed his eyes, and started to listen to the whispers of the wind. Not soon after, he felled asleep.

***

The night was lit up from the flames of war. You could hear the screams of the town’s people being slaughtered in the distance, and in the middle of that horrid seen was a young boy about eight years of age, being cradled by his mother. Which, in return, was weeping for her sons who went out in battle to defend the old town. The boy stared at his mom, and held her tighter, trying to confer her.

The boy looked up at his mother and said: “Everything is going to be alright mama.”

“I know baby… I know.” She told her son while stroking his head.

You could hear the soldiers marching in the distance.

“Over here!” one of the soldiers shouted.

The boy’s father turned and looked back at his family, and then he put his left index finger over his lip to silence them, and with his right hand he lifted up his sword readying for battle. Suddenly, you could hear banging on the door.

“Come here! Help push this door open!” Command a solider.

“Just burn it down!” One screamed.

“With pleasure.” Another replied.

With the house ablaze, the boy’s father yelled, while coughing up the black smoke: “Get Ateis out of here, he must live!”

The mother picked up her son, and then dragged him through the back door.

“We can’t leave dad!”Ateisscreamed, while watching the lifeless, black smoke swallow up his father.

“He will be alright.” His mother cried.

Everything around them was burning, and the air was contaminated with the awful smell of burning flesh. Screams of death was all the two could hear. Ateis hugged his mother tighter as they snuck around a group of soldiers.

“Shh… my son everything is going to be okay.” She said trying to comfort her son, but she mostly said it to assure herself, because deep in her heart, she had her doubts about making it out alive.

They ran down hill side, following the river of blood that flowed into the stream below.

“Looks like we got our selves some runnas.” Said a soldier, who was wearing black plated armor, engraved with small intercit swirls, which all connected to formed a the crules of a lions main.