Chapter 40 ♕ The Finale Begins

Valeriana was mildly getting tired of having to restrain the spoiled girl she recently kidnapped. Asthore's demanding and overbearing attitude was slowly getting onto her nerves that throwing her off was becoming a seductive temptation. Avaro continued to display a seemingly endless supply of patience and said nothing as he continued to fly, but Valeriana's mouth trembled and words were attempting to break free from her pursed lips.

"I demand that you fly us down this instant! This is not how you treat a lady and I absolutely detest being manhandled! Just wait until Faolan beats down that egotistical jerk you call your first-ranker and I assure you I'll have you beheaded by him the very second he catches up to us! So I suggest that you—"

Valeriana's face was red with anger. "Can you shut the hell up for a damn moment and give me some peace and quiet? I'm not the most patient person in the world and I can assure you that I'm willing to drop you off this height the very next moment you open that ringing siren you call your mouth!"

She was starting to sound like Corvan.

They were currently a hundred meters off the ground. If, previously, Valeriana would have absolutely freaked knowing they were that high up in the air, the anger and irritation she was feeling blocked off everything else. For now, she could think of nothing but find a way to have the brat slam her mouth shut.

Asthore was not the bit intimidated. "I shall not believe you! You would have not taken me away if you had no use for me! I refuse to believe that—"

When she finally reached her breaking point, Valeriana carelessly—and literally—threw Asthore away that she started screaming her throats out as she made her way down.

Avaro gave a small chuckle and casually looked at the girl from the corner of his eyes. 'This one believes that lheuim ansur would not want the kid to die.'

"I'm sorry." Valeriana answered. "She just made me . . ."

''Tis nothing that this beast cannot fix. Just hold on tight and try to remain composed for the sake of appearances.' He told her.

"What are you going to do exactly?"

With a swift but graceful swing, Avaro folded his wings and just . . . dropped. Valeriana could not help but shriek at first but forced herself to contain her scream. And although her stomach felt queasy at the velocity as they approached the ground, it was nothing entirely new.

She had to get used to the notion that this was going to happen frequently, so why not try to adjust to it now? Summoning up her bravery, she reached forward and held on to the beast's long mane and squinted in an attempt to see through the wall of wind.

"Does this hurt?"

Avaro seemed slightly taken aback, but the expression his eyes showed altered slightly. 'It does not.'

"Okay, let's get the girl."

Avaro flew in the same pace as Asthore as she fell. The brat could not help but scream and glare and fume at the same time as both of them came into view.

"Do you swear to keep your mouth shut and give me the peace and quiet I want from you for the rest of the ride? Maybe then I'll think about bringing you back to your precious Tod."

Asthore looked at Valeriana, shocked. "You know of Tod? How?"

"A little birdy told me." She rolled her eyes. "Are you gonna swear or not? Cause you're gonna fall."

The girl looked down and saw the ground fast approaching. She squealed. "Yes! Yes! I swear! Now get me out of this dilemma! Before I—"

Avaro spread his wings as Valeriana made a grab for the little lady and smoothly got back on track. A small cry escaped Asthore's mouth, her eyes shutting close at the smell of danger. Her fear was unneeded, however, as she was cushioned safely against Valeriana's secured embrace. When she no longer felt as though she was falling, she slowly opened her eyes and looked down.