Chapter 36 ♕ Interference (pt. 2)

Someone said, "Why don't you give us the revised version if you keep complaining about this one?" in the last few chapters.

I'm not sure if you guys need reminder or if you completely skipped the note at the beginning of this book, but the revised versions is a paid access. People asked for the books to come back to Wattpad, and the compromise I found is to offer the unedited versions instead.

Hope that clear things up.

-*-

"God." The third ranker's shoulders sagged. "This had better be worth it."

"Do not worry," Marcy told them. "I will try my best not to bore you."

"What's it about, anyway?" Courtney asked them.

"I believe that there is a way to permanently put a stop to everything."

"Oh, please." Tamara rolled her eyes. "Is that peace talk? I don't think so."

"This is not just any peace talk." Marcy told them. "I have already sent someone ahead to inform the citizens of the situation currently going on inside the family manor."

"Wait. Why are we telling the people?" Tamara asked.

"They have the right to know." The old butler pointedly looked at the third ranker. "Time has come for Lady Asthore to snap out of this childishness and know the true responsibilities of a leader. She will not learn without seeing for herself—not without the people telling her their dissatisfaction directly."

"That is quite reasonable, but are you sure that's . . . recommended?" Valeriana queried, unsure of them pursuing the idea.

"There is no need to worry. I know the citizens of Loquin quite well." Answered Marcy, his wise eyes glimmering as they continued. "I have quite a few people on my side, you see. I may seem just an ordinary butler, but I once served under the city lord for public purposes."

While everyone listened carefully with interest, Tamara seemed to be the complete opposite. She picked on her ears and said, "Yes, and?"

Laz pinched Tamara's side to scold her.

"Ow!"

"You tell me to do my work." He paused. "You should try following your own words."

The third ranker glared at the older man through her lashes and huffed indignantly. "I am doing my job! I'm following, ain't I? That doesn't mean I have to listen!"

Laz continued his assault on Tamara, knocking his knuckles on top of her head. The redhead retaliated by kicking his shin, making the man howl from the pain. In no time at all, they were exchanging punches.

Marcy sighed at the exchange between the two. "I may need the help of your friends as well. Knowing what had begun to happen since the death of the previous lord, the rebels would probably think that this would be a good opportunity to attack. There are more than a few of the citizens who seek to overthrow Lady Asthore from her current position, you see."

"The citizens are planning a coup?" Courtney asked.

"They've been planning it even before Lady Asthore ascended. The only reason why everything has been kept in order is because of the presence of Tod."

"Who is this Tod and why do I keep hearing his name?"

"It's the demon. The cool demon servant, remember?"

"Oh, you mean that hunk?"

Valeriana and the others stared pointedly at her.

"Seriously?"