Chapter 3 ♕ Meeting the Brother of the King

Kelton's Den was easy to find. People came and go. One could say there wasn't a second that somebody did not go in or go out. The place was buzzing with people so it was noisy. The sound of constant chattering and seemingly endless blabbering filled the Twelve's ears deafeningly. The noise had reached their ears before they even stepped foot within the building and greatly intensified when they neared the source.

"I don't think it's advisable if we all go in." Rowe told them. "I'll take a few of the Twelve and remain outside to secure the vicinity, just in case a certain somebody gets the idea of escaping. It also helps with the attention."

"Good call." The twins said. "But we wanna go inside!"

"Alright. Those who want to go inside then go, if you don't, stay with me."

"I'll stay." Aneeka said.

"Me too." Elfre sighed.

"I am quite certain the sight of this pub's interior will be too unsightly judging from its outward appearance. I will remain here and gaze at the beautiful evening sky." Raziel told them—poetically, as usual.

"How about you, Valeriana?" Rowe offered.

"Well, I kinda wanna see what's inside. Is it fine if I go?" She answered sheepishly.

"Keelan wants foooooddd!" Keelan exclaimed.

"Well, you guys suit yourself." Aneeka stated.

And with that decided, the others entered Kelton's Den.

"Sure is lively." Tamara commented, bringing her eyes to look around.

They were greeted by a cramped space filled with ruffian-looking and suspicious individuals tugging down bottomless mugs of alcohol. Laughter echoed in split second intervals, sometimes overlapping that the mutterings and casual conversations were obscure.

Corvan leaned to the side effortlessly just as a knife came whistling towards him, letting it strike the wall instead of him. Valeriana could hear the item vibrate as its tip got buried about an inch deep into the wood and the girl had to admit she didn't like how it sounded—although Corvan did look cool.

She doubted she would be able to do that if it was her, though.

With that, she winced and suppressed a shriek, wanting not to seem out of place from her group. They all wore either casual or neutral faces as if nothing happened.

"Doesn't this place seem a little bit too . . . dangerous?" She asked.

"Then go and stay outside with Rowe and the others if you're hesitating." Said Corvan.

Valeriana shut her mouth, not wanting to leave. "I'll just hide behind you."

Genevieve winked at her while patting her on the back. "You'll get used to it soon enough. This won't be the only time you're going to be sent to do this kind of thing."

"The heck do you mean?"

She didn't get to hear the answer of Genevieve as the room suddenly went eerily quiet. All eyes turned to their direction, either questioning, suspicious, or curious.

The Twelve were anything but ordinary. They carried themselves with an air of intimidation, demanding attention everywhere they went. They were confident, somewhat threatening, and people knew they were not to be trifled with instinctively at first sight. Although they did act childishly and a bit inappropriate when not in public, they weren't any less than what they seemed.

"Oho." A voice cut through the silence. "My, my, what do we have here?"

A woman approached them, her fingers curved under her chin. Valeriana noticed the freckles that dusted her cheeks and nose along with the energetic fire that lighted up her ash-colored eyes. The bandana wrapped around her forehead had a deep color of crimson along with small, glittering jewels that seemed to have been sewn into the fabric. Her blond hair that had brownish roots was pulled back into a messy up-do that had a few loose strands that hung by her ears.