Chapter 48

We continued walking up the pathway, joining other students all dressed and ready to party. As we got further to the ballroom, I could see the shining lights that were hung all around, not just inside the building but outside too. I was truly breath taken by all the decorations and couldn't help but wonder how long it must have taken to have it all set up. Eventually, we made it inside, and it was a total spectacular sight. It was as if I had stepped into a magical winter wonderland. 

There were several tables dotted around the room, all covered in pristine white tablecloths that matched the chairs too. Pieces of white fabric created this stunning canopy above us, and what made it more beautiful was the fairy lights that were wrapped around them. It all looked like a wedding reception rather than a prom event.

 It all looked like a wedding reception rather than a prom event

Everywhere I looked, I saw people wearing fancy dresses and suits, smiling and laughing with one another. I felt sort of out of place. I wasn't of a privileged background; neither was I rich. Who would have imagined that me, a teen from a lower-class family who lived in a village, would end up in a place so prestigious as this?

"This is amazing!" I exclaimed. "Everything looks so wonderful."

"I know right,? The school goes above and beyond for the Winter Ball," Merida said. "I swear it's better every year."

"The band plays excellent tunes," Lucy added. "The school hires people from Far Far Away to come here."

"Wait seriously?" Merida exclaimed. "You're kidding me."

"No, I'm not." Isabel continued. "I even heard that they played at the king and queen's daughter's wedding party."

"Oh yea, they did," I said.

The girls and Artie turned and looked at me with puzzled looks on their faces. "Really?" Artie asked. "How do you know that?"

"Heard from someone who was there," I smirked. I found it funny that they all had no idea I was referring to myself. Not sure if they would have believed me if I told them the truth though.

"Anyway, the food is the best part," Artie said.

"No, the slow dance is." Lucy cheered.

"I've only ever watched," Artie sighed. "Haven't had a slow dance with anyone since I've been here."

"What? No one at all?" I asked.

Artie shook his head. Isabel then leaned slightly towards my ear.

"Maybe you can change that, Katie," she whispered, giggling.

I glared at her as she hid her smirk behind her hand. Honestly, the girls were almost my matchmakers when I think about it.

"Come on, let's dance guys," Merida cried, and we all hurried to the dance floor began to boogie our hearts outs.