Chapter 31

The next day we woke up bright and early just as dad had told us to do. I packed up the last remaining bits and brought each box downstairs into our Oregon wagon outside. While dad was sorting out a few things, Daniel and I quickly went to the graveyard to say our goodbyes to mum. It was a bittersweet moment for us, and I had to keep myself from crying my eyes out in front of him. We then ran back to the house just in time before dad came back.

"Right, you two get in the back. We're leaving," Dad announced.

Daniel and I climbed in, and before I knew it, we were off. As we got further away, I took one last glance at the house and our village. A soft smile appeared on my face.

"Goodbye, little village," I said softly. "Goodbye, mum."

For the next few hours, we played cards while dad sat at the front, making sure the horses were keeping to the path we needed to go on. We eventually arrived at a large boating dock. There were a lot of people there, mainly other children and teens with their parents.

"Daniel, unload your stuff off," Dad ordered. "Katie, go help him."

"Don't I need to unload my stuff as well?" I asked

He turned to us with a stern look on his face. "No, because you're not going to the same school as him."

"What? No, I don't want to be without Katie!" Daniel cried.

"Why are you splitting us up?" I exclaimed.

"Because I can, and I have! Now get your brother's stuff out." Dad boomed. "I need to get you to your drop off point, Katie, now shift it!"

I slowly climbed out of the wagon and began to unload all of Daniel's belongings. I couldn't believe how cruel my dad was being. Not having Daniel with me was going to tear me apart, and I knew it was going to do the same to him. Once all of his things were taken out, I held Daniel tight in my arms, not knowing if that would be the last time I would ever see him again.

"I'm scared, Katie," he sobbed. "I want us to stay together, I don't want to be on my own."

"You won't be," I said calmly. "You'll make new friends, and you're going to enjoy every bit of it."

"What about you?" he asked.

"I'll be ok, don't worry about me. Just promise you'll stay strong and do good in school."

"I promise." He nodded.

I looked around to see what school he would be going to. A sign near a large ship read:

'New students for Ravenwood School come this way.'

I had to remember that name, it was the only way I would be able to keep in contact with Daniel. I heard a loud cough behind us, and we turned to see dad standing by the wagon, tapping his feet.

"Move it, let's go, Katie! I don't have all day." He called out.

I said a final tearful goodbye to Daniel before running back to the wagon. The fact that dad didn't even say goodbye was utterly horrible, but then again, I wasn't that surprised. As we rode away, I looked out from the back of the wagon and waved to Daniel, who was now a tiny figure. He frantically waved back, and soon I could no longer see him. I sat down and leaned my head back, tears trickling down my cheeks. I was now alone and also heartbroken. 

It was another hour before dad, and I arrived at another large boating dock. It was much busier than the last one, and lots of people were chatting hugging one another. How nice it was for them to be loved by their families. I emptied all that was mine out from the wagon and tossed one of my bags over my shoulder. Dad was still sitting in his seat, focusing on the road ahead of him.

"I still can't believe you're dumping your own children and abandoning them," I said.

"Does it look like I care at all, Katie?" He glared. "I'm free from the pair of you now."

"Mum would be disgusted by what you're doing." I snapped.

"And why isn't she here? Because she's dead," Dad barked. "And why is she dead? Well, I'm looking at the reason."

"It's not my-"

"You called all of this. You're a disappointment to this family; your life will forever be miserable and lonely because of your actions." He yelled, shooing me away from him.

He then rode off down the road and eventually out of sight. My lips were trembling, tears were falling, I was an utter mess, but no one could comfort me. I collected my stuff and headed towards the ship, a sign nearby read:

'Ship to Worcestershire Academy.'

I had to get myself marked in before boarding, which was a long process. I finally headed to the seating area at the bottom of the boat, where I picked a spot by a window and slumped myself into my seat. My eyes were heavy and red, and all I wanted to do was wash all my dismay away. There were lots of other teens around me chatting amongst themselves, but I didn't talk to them. I just turned and leaned my elbow on the window ledge, resting my head on my hand.

I was about to start a whole new chapter of my life. After all, I'd been through, I was more than ready to start afresh.