Chapter 7

Over the next couple of days, I went on one heck of an adventure. The ogre, who introduced himself as Shrek, was told by Lord Farquaad that to get the vast amounts of fairytale creatures out of his swamp, he had to go and rescue this princess for him. Pretty lazy if you ask me. Why couldn't he just do it himself? He was a fascinating character that Lord Farquaad I can tell you that. 

Donkey and I, of course, tagged along for the ride. I would have gone back home, but to be truthful, I was petrified of what my dad would do to me. If he could sell me off to two strangers for money, what else would he do to me? Anyways, we made the long and tiring journey to the castle where this Princess Fiona was held captive.

The rescue mission was intense and pretty thrilling, even though we were close to getting ourselves killed a couple of times. Thankfully, we managed to get Fiona out of there before the dragon got to us. Oh yeah, should have mentioned that. There was this terrifying dragon after us while we were in there, it had a keen interest in Donkey. A sort of crush should I say; she was giving him the flirty eye and everything. I wasn't a huge fan of Fiona, to begin with. 

She started to complain and whine that Shrek was an ogre and that he had totally messed up her whole fantasy of being rescued by a dashing, handsome prince. You know, the soppy princess stuff that many of them dream about. Like excuse me, we risked our lives to save you from being locked up in that stupid tower, for the rest of your life and here you are complaining that this isn't how you pictured it. Honestly so ungrateful.

However, as time went on, I grew a liking to her; she wasn't that bad after all. She didn't act that ladylike for the most part, she had wicked karate skills and was pretty gross with her manners, i.e., burping, and farting. Fiona behaved more like Shrek than a genuine princess. I was starting to sense that something was going on between them, and Donkey could detect it as well. It was so evident that feelings were growing, but they never admitted it to one another. That wasn't even the craziest thing that happened. 

Donkey had come to me and told me that he had heard strange noises from inside the windmill where Fiona was sleeping and wanted to go and investigate. We crept inside, the haunting sound of an owl hooting echoed all around us. The darkness around us was making our investigation scary; the creaking floorboards didn't help us one bit.

"Princess? You ok?" I quietly called out.

"Princess Fiona? Princess, where are you?" Donkey called out, a bird flew out of the roof, startling us both.

"It's very spooky in here. I ain't playing no games." Donkey whimpered, it was so dark that I could barely see a thing.

"Where is she?" I whispered to Donkey, trying to feel my way around the room.

All of a sudden, there was a tremendous crash, causing us to practically jump out of our skins. A pile of rubble had formed behind us, dust clouds swirling around our feet. A dark silhouette then slowly emerged from the dust, gradually coming towards us. I could feel myself shaking all over; I could hear my heart thumping at an alarming rate. Donkey and I watched as the silhouette's appearance was revealed to us—an ogre wearing the same dress as Fiona emerged, causing us to scream in terror.

"What did you do with the princess?" Wailed Donkey.

"If you've hurt her in any way..." I yelled, stepping towards her.

"Guys, it's me, I'm the princess," she replied.

After much persuasion we realised that she was really Fiona, I was lost for words, I didn't know what to say. She explained to us that a witch put a curse on her as a young girl and that every night she transforms into an ogre. She recited the spell that was put on her to us:

"By night one way, by day another. This shall be the norm... until you find true love's first kiss... and then take love's true form."

That was pretty sad if you ask me. I always wondered what true love's first kiss felt like. Mum always said that it's a feeling like no other; it feels magical and that you're on top of the world. I imagined it to feel warm and cosy, a spark almost. I remember from that day, I began to dream of my true love's first kiss. Where it would be, and who it would be with. I wanted it to be with someone special, not just with some random guy. We had to have a connection, a sense of happiness would come over whenever I saw him. However, I didn't know when I would find him. I mean would anyone love someone like me? A girl with strange coloured hair? A thief? A criminal?

A nobody?