Chapter 7

Today is Thursday. For the rest of the school day yesterday I didn’t see Tyler again. I think Rochelle was with him for the rest of the day so that explains it. I can’t help thinking about yesterday though. I wonder who the lucky girl he likes is. After school I went to Melissa’s house and she kept asking me what was wrong but I didn’t want to talk about it. Melissa made chocolate-chip cookies to make me feel better but nothing could help the hole that was forming in my heart. When I’d come home yesterday night mum wasn’t even home and I wasn’t hungry anyway so I just went to bed. With only two days before Saturday, the party, me and Melissa had to be informing everyone today about it.

I made myself downstairs after getting ready and headed out to the car. Today was going to be so awkward and I don’t know if Tyler would still want to come to the party.

When I make it to school I find Melissa waiting for me on the school steps. I walk over to her and she looks up at me in curiosity, “Are you better today? Are you ready to tell me?” Just her question is nearly making me start crying again thinking about yesterday. I need to get a grip on myself.

“Yeah, I’m okay. I’ll tell you in Maths.”

“Okay, just stop looking down okay? I hate seeing you looking so upset,” Melissa looks up at me with a kind look plastered on her face. She really is the best friend I could ever wish for.

“Okay so today we have to tell everyone about the party. Let’s get started,” I try to hide my feelings acting enthusiastic even though I can tell Melissa isn’t buying it.

“Yeah, let’s go,” she jumps up and hooks her arm through mine as we walk through the car park and invite everyone who passes our way. I actually start feeling better until I see Tyler’s Porsche pull into a park. My heart skips a beat and then I feel myself being reminded about yesterday’s events again.  My eyes make contact with his and instantly we both turn our faces in the opposite direction.

“Hey, is Tyler still coming? Let’s go ask,” Melissa says as she starts pulling me towards him. Crap, now what. “Hey, are you still joining us at our beach party this weekend? You get to see Danielle in the dress she just bought which I must admit looks amazing on her,” she gives a little smirk and winks at Tyler before continuing, “So is that a yes?”

Tyler stares at her for a while before looking at me with his blue eyes still filled with sadness. I look down avoiding eye contact. “Yeah I’m still coming. You can’t hold me back from a party, no matter what,” I look up and I can tell that he’s only trying to act happy in front of me.

“Great! It’s at Summer Cove Beach from 10 to 12am. Hope to see you there.”

We start to walk off when I feel someone grab my arm. I turn around to see Tyler.

“Hey, Melissa, can I speak to her in private for a second?”

Melissa looks between Tyler and me before nodding. She gives me a smile before walking off towards Stacey.

“Dani, we need to talk,” I nod my head and wait for him to continue, “Yesterday we left things really awkwardly and I just can’t stand not being able to speak to you normally. It was stupid of me wanting to know who you liked, it’s none of my business and I didn’t even tell you who I liked in return–“

I cut him off quickly not wanting to even know her name or even speak about him liking someone, “It’s okay Tyler. Let’s just forget it. I don’t need to know. You probably don’t even know who Asher is anyway so we’re even. Let’s just leave it be.”

“No it’s not fair. And I do know Asher and you do know who I like.” I shake my head and start to protest again before he stops me by putting his finger to my lips in a ‘shush’ gesture. “I need to tell you before it’s too late.”