Chapter 6

“Tyler! Dani!”

Tyler turns around and I look up to see who interrupted us. Melissa stands in front of us with Alex at her side, her perfect blonde hair flowing in the wind as she looks down at us with a big smirk on her face. “Aww the perfect little love birds all rolled up on the grass together. Did you spill the beans yet Dani?”

I shake my head. “And you?” she pulls a guilty face as she shakes her head as well.

“Oh was I interrupting something here? I was just coming to bring you guy’s your bag because I was planning on leaving lunch with Alex.”

“Don’t worry we were just planning on leaving as well,” I say looking up at Tyler trying to see if he thinks the same but his eyes show he is still as determined as before to find out. At this point he has let go of my wrists on the ground so I reach my hand up and push his chest forcing him off of me.

“Oh, that’s okay. Sorry if we made it awkward for you and made you stop… whatever you were doing…” Melissa winks at me before turning around and walking away.

“Who said I was finished?” Tyler says after we see Melissa and Alex disappear out of sight.

“Me!” I playfully yell at him as I sit up on the grass. I look down at my mobile phone to check the time, “We’ve still got fifteen minutes before lunch finishes.

“Great. We have plenty of time.”

I laugh to myself as Tyler looks towards me. “The more I keep hearing that you like someone the more I want to know,” he gives me a joking sad face and pouts his lips.

“If you tell me who you like I’ll tell you,” I give him a wink and smirk at him knowing he would never tell me his high school crushes either even though he told me his Primary School crushes.

“Fine, you first,” Tyler looks at me with pleading eyes, “Or I’ll tickle it out of you.”

“Nope, you,” I stifle a giggle and look up at him.

“Fine, your choice,” and with that he reaches over to me and starts tickling me, causing me not to be able to breathe.

“Sto-… Plea-….” I manage to say between laughing and breathing, “FINE! I’ll tell you now.”

Tyler pulls his hands away and looks at me, “Are you sure you’re not lying just because you want me to stop?”

“Yeah, Okay the person I like is…” Okay, okay, first person… Asher!, “Asher,” I barely whisper.

He looks at me with utter shock and he has a look of hurt in his eyes, “Really?” he looks really upset. Why does he look hurt?

“Yeah, and you?”

“Well I can’t really say her name but I’ve liked this girl for a while now. You probably wouldn’t know her. She’s not in any of mine or your classes.”

I can’t help my stomach to drop. He actually likes someone? I really never had a chance to begin with. I feel my eyes begin to water so I turn the other way and quickly wipe away the tears forming before they can fall down my cheeks, “Oh, okay.” The bells rings and I am so relieved to hear the sound of it, hopefully breaking the awkwardness that just overcame the two of us. Just as I’m about to stand up I hear Rochelle, one of many of Tyler’s ‘fans’ who is the biggest bitch of them all, walking over to where we’re sitting on the ground.

“Tyler! Where have you been?! I haven’t talked to you in ages!” she grabs him by the hand and pulls him off the ground. I watch as she drags him towards the classrooms hand-in-hand with him. He glances behind for a second waving at me with so much sadness in his eyes it takes me everything not to burst out crying, and then he walks away.

I make my way to class with my head down. Why am I feeling so sad? Just a few seconds ago we were feeling so happy and now we’re so miserable. Obviously he would like someone. And obviously that ‘someone’ wouldn’t be me. So if I knew, why am I so upset? Man, I’m stupid.