Chapter 5

When I wake up I think about everything that happened last night and know for sure that Melissa will want to know. I really enjoyed hanging out with Tyler yesterday and can’t wait to see him at school. After I’ve showered, eaten breakfast and applied my make-up I head out the door leaving a note on the counter for mum when she wakes up. I wrote that I was going to Melissa’s house after school and I would be back by dinner.

As soon as I arrive at school Melissa comes running over to me demanding to know every detail. I tell her everything that had happened yesterday. After I’m finished telling her the story with her smiling the whole time, I can’t help but wonder what it must feel like, for her, hearing me hanging out with the guy I’ve liked for so long when Alex doesn’t even seem to take any notice of her. But my bad thoughts about Melissa and Alex disappear completely from my mind when I see Alex heading her way. I point and say with a confused expression on my face, “Ah did something happen between you and Alex that I don’t know about?”

“Yeah, we talked for ages after school yesterday. We even went out to the coffee shop together,” she says squealing and giving me a ‘thumbs up’, “Anyway gotta run, as you can see.” She walks away waving and walking over to him and I feel so happy for her. At that exact moment I see Tyler’s black Porsche drive around the corner and pull into a park. My whole face lights up and I watch him as he gets out of his car and heads my way.

“Hey,” he says when we are finally face to face.

Before I can say anything the bell goes. “Yay, another school day,” I say sarcastically.

“It won’t be that bad,” he says winking, “You’ll have me in it.”

My whole face heats up and I turn my face away from his so he doesn’t notice me blushing. “Yeah, I guess that’s one good thing,” I say jokingly smiling at him.

We start walking towards the school doors and on our way I see Melissa and Alex laughing together. It’s like the first time I’ve seen him laugh. Today he is wearing black skinny jeans with a grey singlet and a black leather jacket. He’s also wearing knee-high, black combat boots. Melissa spots me and waves at me before turning back and saying something to Alex before they both turn and look at me. I wave at them and am happy to see them wave back.

“Ha, ha,” Tyler laughs seeing Melissa and Alex, “What class do you have up first?”

“Chemistry, so not looking forward to it,” I give a groan in frustration.

We say goodbye and head our separate ways. I head into the Chemistry classroom and take a seat at the back of the room as usual. As I’m waiting for class to start I put my head on my desk and start daydreaming. After last night I don’t know what to think about me and Tyler. What if he did like me?

“Hey, is anyone sitting here?” interrupting my thoughts I look up from my desk locking eyes with a gorgeous, brunette haired guy.

“No,” I say dazedly. I look over him more carefully this time. How come I’ve never seen him before? He wears a plain, tight faded red shirt, which shows off all his lean muscles, with dark, denim jeans and black Vans.

“Cool. Can I sit here? Danielle right?” he asks tilting his head to the side with a questioning expression.

“Sure. And yeah, I’m Danielle. Not to be rude but who are you?”

“Asher,” he says giving me a confident smile and reaching out his hand for me to shake it.

I reach out my hand and shake it replying, “Nice to meet you.”

Why didn’t I know him? I know nearly everyone in the school even if I don’t hang out with them but why hadn’t I ever heard of him before? And he couldn’t be a new student because he knew my name! I look over at Asher and start getting a closer look at him. He has dark, brown hair and sparkling hazel eyes. The way he smiled showed he wasn’t shy and looked like someone that everyone got along with. As I’m staring at him he looks up meeting my gaze and gives me a big smile. Feeling so embarrassed I turn my attention back on the teacher at the front of the classroom.