Chapter 2

After roll mark I make my way to first period, History. I always hate walking through the school halls. I hate the way everyone crowds around with their friends before they head off to class, blocking the pathway. Usually I try to squeeze past and just keep my head down. On my way to history minding my business I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around smiling, expecting to see Melissa, but instead see Tyler beaming down at me with his million dollar pearly, white smile. The sight of him makes my smile drop; my cheeks flush and causes my voice to get trapped in my throat and I end up standing there gawking at him like an idiot for what seems like a century.

“Hey,” I say, pushing my voice out and hiding my embarrassment, “What’s up?”

“Hi, what lesson do you have now?”

“Oh,” I say looking down at my purple Vans, purposely avoiding eye contact, “History. Why?”

“Well, your history teacher is Miss Carter right?” I nod. “I owe her my report and was wondering if you could give it to her for me, since my first lesson is right here?” he asks pointing to a door on the side of the hallway, “She said I had to have it to her by first lesson but my next teacher hates it if someone is late so would you mind?”

“Oh, sure, not a problem,” I say and I can’t stop my cheeks from turning an even darker shade of scarlet. What an idiot. I think. What an idiot I am getting my hopes up.

“Thanks, I owe you,” he says giving me the paper, thanking me again before waving goodbye and turning and walking away towards his classroom.

After handing the paper to Miss Carter and explaining to her why I had Tyler’s paper, I take my seat at the back of the room and reach down  under my desk to get my book out of my bag. The lesson drags on for so long I think it’s never going to end.

Finally, I hear Miss Carters voice, “Okay make sure to revise section D for homework and I’ll see you all next lesson,” she chirps.

I shove all my books back into my bag and manage to be the first to head out of the classroom.

I make my way outside to my usual lunch spot underneath the tree. There I wait for Melissa to arrive from her Maths lesson. While waiting I check my mobile surprised to see a message from Tyler. How does he know my number? As I am just about to click on the little unread message icon Melissa walks up startling me. I must have been so focused on the message that I hadn’t even noticed her walking up.

“OMG, you wouldn’t believe it!” she shouts. “I asked Alex and he said yes!”

“That’s great! Now all that’s left is the planning of the party.” I say trying to sound calm and not wanting her to ask about Tyler but knowing she will.

“So, did you talk to Tyler yet?” she asks looking at me eagerly waiting to hear the news.

“Well, yer but I didn’t ask him to the party because that would be just awkward. But hey, I just got a message from him,” I say feeling even happier actually saying it.

“Oh my god!” she says with her jaw dropping, “What did it say?”

“I haven’t checked it yet. I was about to when you started walking over,” I say truthfully.

“Then read it and show me!” she shouts.

As I click on the message and read it, I have to stop myself from jumping up and down in hysteria, I’m so happy. The message reads:

Hey Danielle,

Sorry for dumping my assignment on you and leaving so quickly. I was wondering if I could make it up to you like I said. At first lunch meet me on the oval. I’ll be sitting by the side of the stadium on the grass. J

Cya, soon

-    Tyler

After I’ve finished reading it out aloud to Melissa and explaining to her what happened this morning, even though it wasn’t much, I nearly forget about what he asked in the text. I still had half an hour before lunch finished. I quickly made my way to the oval spotting him straight away. Tyler was sitting on the grass under the shade of a tree with his legs splayed out in front of him. I felt so bad for making him wait so long but I made my way over to him, trying to act confident.

“Hey,” I say walking over to him, “Been waiting long? Sorry I just read your message.” My act of confidence is already gone the second I open my mouth to speak to him. I already told him the truth.

“I haven’t been waiting that long so it’s fine. And besides I’m the one who should be apologizing. Sorry for giving you the responsibility of handing in my assignment, but she was going to kill me if I didn’t have that in by first lesson. You know how she is,” he says looking up at me questionably.

“Yeah, and don’t worry it’s fine, I was heading that way anyway remember?” I say, giving him a smile and taking a seat on the grass next to him, “Oh and BTW, how do you know my number?”

“Well we used to be best friends remember? And I know you’re not one to change your number after you’ve memorised it.”

“Well, I like to know these things,” I laugh, happy to see him laugh back, “Hey, so how are you going to make it up to me?” I say flirtingly.

“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere. But it’s your choice,” he asks looking at me, waiting for my answer.

“Seriously? Um, you know handing in a late assignment isn’t that much of a job so you don’t really need to give me anything. As I said before, I was heading that way,” It’s not that I didn’t want to go somewhere with him, but spending money on me and taking me out is too much for the small thing I did for him.

“Just let me take you somewhere. Even though you didn’t think it was that much, you did me a huge favour.”

“Okay, fine,” I say. I know it’s probably a stupid thought but I can’t help thinking that maybe this wasn’t just about the paper. Maybe he just wanted to take me somewhere. And by thinking this I couldn’t help the smile from forming on my lips.

“Cool. So tomorrow after school I was thinking we could go to the movies if that’s okay with you. Meet me in the car park when school finishes and we’ll go from there,” he says so confidently, I wonder how he does it.

“Okay, then see you tomorrow,” I say smiling. But before I stand up I say, “Hey, would there be any chance you would want to come to the beach party Melissa and I are planning this weekend?”

“Sure, sounds fun.”

“Cool, I’ll text you the details later on,” I say standing up and getting ready to leave.

“Dani, thanks again for everything,” he says standing up also, “Which way are you headed I’ll walk with you,” he says as the bell goes, signalling lunch is over.

“That way,” I say pointing off into the distance towards the classroom I’m headed.

“Okay I’ll walk you there. My classroom is right next door,” he says even though I already knew that but obviously I’m not going to say that.

 As I head to class with Tyler I see Melissa. As she walks past me I see her widening her eyes and giving me a big smile before passing and heading to her classroom.

“See you soon,” he says winking and smiling at me as he turns and heads towards his classroom and I make my way to English.