Faethfully Yours: Chapter Twenty

Perhaps I'd been a little too desperate. Stepping out onto the tar paved rooftop, I instantly coiled, my scarf seeming almost comical. Hopefully Kheelan had some fire training exercises because my blood was seconds from congealment. Not even my excitement was enough to warm a hair on my body, though I practically burst at the seams in anticipation.

Finally, training. Ever since the moment I learned of these powers, they seemed almost like a foreign substance.  And I'm not talking about Maris. I mean the energy that flowed through me at the hospital. The fire that burned my veins at the barn--My very own powers. Yes, they were there but we in no way interacted willingly. I couldn't snap a finger and whip up a sand storm. I couldn't blow a kiss and with it strike up a tornado funnel. Hell I wasn't even sure I'd be able to do that once I did learn how to use my powers but my point is that where as before my abilities and I merely co-existed and came together only in times of sheer desperation, that was moments away from changing. We would exist as one unit and function as a whole.

It was the perfect night to train. Though a bit cloudy, the moonlight broke through various cracks in the clouds, offering us an eerie yet guarding light. In the distance, the hushing sound of the cars on the freeway seemed so insanely fitting,  Like an undercurrent . I'd always loved that sound; it was so easy to get lost in the nothingness.

Kheelan strode ahead, stopping at the roofs edge. Crazily stripping off his jacket, he lined a few random materials he'd gathered before our departure in a straight line.  Though some of their particulars were obvious, other's left me quite dumbfounded.

Running my fingers along the book of matches, the bottle of water, I stopped at item beside the houseplant Kheelan had swiped from the apartment--A knife. It twinkled unnervingly under the moonbeams breaking through the clouded sky.

I ran my finger lightly down the blade, "Precaution?" I smiled lightly; all too sure the knife was more for the worst case scenario that played over and over in my head. He didn't answer

Kheelan lifted the book of matches, "Fire, obviously."  He said. Moving down the line, he tapped the bottle of water, "Self-explanitory, as is this." He motioned to the houseplant. Then he stopped at the knife, "And, earth."

What?  I stared blankly. Noting my obvious confusion, he picked up the knife, "It's a metal Charlotte, and metals are earth substances. Did you not pay attention during your classes?" he jeered, and then continued, "Do you have a preference?"

Shrugging, I answered sheepishly, "Whatever's easiest?" knowing full well easy or hard didn't matter as they'd all be a pain at first. But no, there was no room for negativity. Brushing the damp, and might I add frizzy hair from my eyes, I decided, "Water."

He smiled, "My favorite."

Picking up the bottle of water, he placed a gentle hand on my back and led me to the middle of the open space.  Turning me to face him, he took several calculated steps back, knelt and in unscrewing the water bottle, stepped back.

With a snap of his fingers, the bottle contracted, sending the top into the air like a makeshift rocket ship.  But as if a genie being summoned from its lamp, a slender strand of water shot from the bottle, catching the top and absorbing it into its hold. Quickly identifying its master, the water whirled towards Kheelan, depositing its content onto his waiting hand.  It then floated hauntingly back into the bottle in wait of its next command.

"Now let me see what you can do." He stated simply and stepped back.

...What? Just like that?

...Right. I didn't think so-

"I'm sorry but It seems like you want me to do what you just did."

"Precisely." He focused intently, his whole demeanor changing very much to match that of his brother.  The look I shot back was equally keen, just keenly confused.  If my powers were just a switch I could turn on and off would I really be standing on that roof, in the cold?