Faethfully Yours: Chapter Thirty-Two

Lowering his hand from my forehead, Kheelan smiled weakly though his eyes brimmed with worry. “How are you feeling princess?” he asked softly, his voice a balm to my pain. “Are you okay? Are you in pain?”

For a moment I said nothing, tears springing into my eyes. Seeing him there, feeling him so close and smelling of the ocean as he did...I’d missed him, a lot.  Curling closer to Kheelan, I closed my eyes trying to speak but my voice still cowered in my throat.

Tucking me into the crook of his neck, Kheelan rubbed my back in rhythmic circles, each rotation calming my pounding heartbeats more. “I was worried,” he spoke against my temple. “You were so mad at me and I didn’t know where you’d gone. I wanted to explain--”

“I know…” I managed, but barely a whisper. Formalities were nice, especially coming from Kheelan but we had a bigger mess on our hands starting with the Fae standing quietly around us. Just last night, I would have felt safe and reinforced with them there. That was last night.

With the dawning of a new day, everything had changed. Having them there after all I’d experienced left the air feeling thinner, tenser. “Wh--what are they doing here? Who are they?” I asked, breaths coming a little easier.

Kheelan smoothed down my hair, a light kiss grazing. “Don’t worry about anything, you’re safe now.”

“Kheelan, tell me.” I demanded, my voice a little stronger, anger not too far behind.  Things indeed were different. I was no longer a useless Fae needing to be taken care of, needing to be shielded from frightening truths that go bump in the night. I was one of those frightening truths and in the dark I saw clearly. Everything revolved around me and whether Kheelan wanted to tell me or not, I was a need to know party.

Pulling me away slightly, Kheelan gazed down at me, that eternal stare of complete and utter peace boring into mine. But after having dealt with Kala'el's glamour and Xanthus', I saw through Kheelan's glamour to the stream of worry coursing underneath. “I don’t want you to worry. No matter what I tell you, you’re safe. That's what matters, okay?”

My stomach sunk. Any explanation that warranted an introduction spelled one thing: Trouble.

“Kheelan?” I asked warily. “Why are they here?”

 “There’s been a change in plans,” He said softly, as if softening his voice would do anything for the severity of his words. He gestured to the three figures towering beside him, “Grato, Addax and Bri'ka are here to aid me in transporting you to Hillenia. Well, that was their original duty.”

“What’s changed?”

“Kingdoms with allegiances to Xanthus have started assembling their armies. We think Xanthus means to attack Hillenia, and soon. He must know we intend to take you there. Hillenia isn’t safe  anymore. I’m awaiting confirmation, but a kingdom with loyalties to Queen Alistrina has reached out, offering us shelter in their lands. Tarshish is the Fire lands of the Seelie realm. We’ll be safe there. Ivan spent a lot of time there when we were younger. Their king was close friends with our father. The prince, Mirad, is like a brother to Ivan and I. You don’t need to worry about anything except regaining your strength.”

I shook my head, my vision blurring from the pain. Shooting up, my legs still trembled, dizziness swaying me back into Kheelan’s hold.  “It’s not safe Kheelan. Xanthus will know where I am regardless of what route we take.” Recalling the memory of Xanthus, I had no doubt he had every angle thought out. Looking around, the sight was even more disheartening. “There are only six of us. You're saying Xanthus has armies.” I annunciated.

“Shh, calm down,” Kheelan’s arms tightened around me. Raking a hand through my tangled hair, the knots dissolved like water through his fingers. He did it to relax me and it was working as my joints seemed to vanish, keeping my eyes open suddenly a struggle. “Xanthus won’t ever know we’re crossing because we won’t be teleporting. There are some places where the veil between our worlds is thinner and easier to cross. Teleporting requires too much power and Xanthus’ sages will track it and find us. It’s safer this way.” Tilting my head to meet his eyes, I met his darkened stare. “I need you to trust me, Charlotte. I wouldn’t ever do anything to put you in harm’s way. I agreed to kill my brother to keep you safe; don't you think I'd fight to the death to protect you?”