Flashbacks of a Fool: Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Annabelle shivered, the piercing pain at her side forcing her to a slow halt. Perhaps lunging from a moving carriage had not been the wisest of choices but had there been any other? Heaven only knows where George and Lockley intended on 'disposing' of her and Annabelle in no way wished to know.

That very matter the young men had argued during the frightening abduction as Annabelle huddled into the corner of the dark carriage, their heated discussion resounding clearly above the constant hollow thumping of the horse's hooves on the muddy earth. Topics of quarrel ranged from what Martha could have possibly done to deserve such awful reprimand, to which of the pair would get the bigger stake, at which point Lockley quickly confessed his intent on undertaking whatever method necessary to secure the larger portion.

Naturally, Annabelle's initial plan consisted of lunging from the moving coach once within a reasonable distance from Melbourne House. The fall undoubtedly would hurt, but in turn she would be free of the wicked mongrels. Her coward body instantly protested, offering another less painful suggestion. That perhaps she might find an ally in George. He had not after all displayed little affection toward the horrid task of which he partook, expressing openly that he simply wished to dispose of Annabelle somewhere, anywhere. At the time, Annabelle favored the latter choice but then, most disturbing and discouraging to her cause were the words Mrs. Hawkins uttered just before the carriage departed-

"Though the cold and night will take her life, I will double your share if it is assured. Mr. Melbourne not need know about our....arrangement."

Choice had been instantaneously negated at that moment, leaving only the primal will to survive.

With Lockley up top controlling the horses, George was forced to guard Annabelle within the chaise. Falling into an instant quarrel upon departure, the boys argued continuously through the open carriage window. Grateful that their verbal squabble left them passionately engaged; Annabelle clumsily fumbled to gather her skirt, discreetly. She would jump. Yes. There was no question in that. But George needed to be both silenced and immobilized simultaneously for a respectable moment.

But what on earth could she do? Though her hands were unbound, there was not much her dainty punches could do to a stocky man such as George. Lord, there had to be another solution...

"I can't fathom why you talk to him. He's such a pompous idiot!" Nathaniel fumed. Picking up random stones, he threw them angrily, one by one into the creek alongside which Annabelle set out a simple feast of apples, pears and bread.

Annabelle smiled, "Could that possibly be jealousy I detect Nathaniel Hawkins?" she instantly bit into her pear, hoping to shield her flaming face.

Scoffing, he tossed one more stone, watching it skip glumly along the water then joined Annabelle on the spread blanket. Bringing his knees to his chest, he looked out at the waters, "Don't be ridiculous Ann," he spat, "I simply thought you would have better judgment than letting Billy Tipton kiss you!"