On A Hazy Day- Chapter 1

Hey there! My name is Carole and this is my first story on Wattpad, but I've read many stories before. Please comment, fan and vote, I'd really appreciate your feedback. I've never actually finished a story before, so I'm gonna try here. :)

xoxo,

Carole

Chapter 1- Back to the Beginning

The wind was blowing fiercely outside and the trees threatened to violently smash into the windows. A storm was brewing; outside, and in my head. I grew restless and tossed and turned, my mind refusing to wake up. I was dreaming. Dreaming about what I heard, and what I didn't do as I watched my whole life fall apart.

I remember screaming and the smashing of plates in the kitchen. Funny enough, I even remember standing there, immobile. I, Alexis Tey, remember the scorching smell of burnt turkey that was supposed to be our Christmas dinner. I remembered the feeling of butterflies, and how I tried to swallow back the sobs. I could hear my mom getting frustrated and slamming the door shut and going to her bedroom, my dad hurrying outside to get a new turkey. My baby sister was asleep, completely oblivious to what was happening.

I crept upstairs and heard my mom sobbing as I pressed my ear against her bedroom door. They always fought, and I hated it. I clenched my sweaty palm in anger. I had always dreamed of having a fightless night. I dreamed of having the family like in those commercials, that I heard about sitting around the fire, laughing, telling heart-warming stories. I shook my head to clear these unrealistic thoughts.

I went to my room. It was completely silent except for the pitter patter of icy rain I could hear from my window. I didn't want to sleep, I couldn't. But my fatigue pulled me in, as my heavy eyelids wearily gave in.

The next morning was Christmas. That day my dad didn't come home.

There was a knock on the door.

My mom wasn't up yet so I went to get the door.

"Yes?" I had asked.

"Are you the daughter of Arthur Tey?" The man had asked.

"Yes I am why?"

"Your father died in a car accident," he said in a sad voice, sorry to have to reveal the news to a 13 year old.

I couldn't move, and I swear my heart had stopped. This couldn't be happening.

I screamed, "MOM!"

  This was the Christmas my world fell apart.

My name is Alexis Tey.

Alex to those who know me well.

I am 16 years old.

I can't tell you what I look like, because I don't know.

I can only tell you what other people tell me how I look.

Fiery red hair that tumbles just below my shoulders and seems to always be in loose curls.

Blue eyes that look clouded over.

I have a little sister, but I will never get to see her.

Why? Because I'm blind.

I was born blind, and always will be.,