Chapter 3: Running in the Dead

When Takashi and I got out of the tunnel, he was attacked by a zombie with a motorcycle helmet on. I quickly grabbed a cinder block and smashed its head before we took the bike it had.

"Do you know how to ride that thing?" I asked.

"No, but I'm sure I can figure it out." He said as he started it up.

I chuckled. "I don't think I'll ever understand how you think, Takashi..." I said before getting on the bike behind him.

"We'll have to fill it up because the gas is getting low on it."

"Okay." I said.

__________________________

We had stopped by a police car that crashed as I went to check it out, Takashi staying by the bike. When I came back, I had found some handcuffs, a baton, and a handgun that held five rounds. I took the gun and handed it to Takashi.

"Here." I said. "Since I already have mine, you take this one."

The brunette boy nodded and took the gun, examining it. "What's the matter?"

"It's just a lot heavier than I expected."

I giggled. "Well yeah, it's the real thing, smart one." I then lifted my closed hand to him.

"What?"

"Hold your hand out."

He did as I said and held his hand out to me before I put more bullets in his hand. "I took them out of the other gun and their pockets. They're bloody, but still usable. Now you have 20 total, including the ones in the gun."

Takashi put the extra bullets in his pocket along with the gun. "Should we keep the bat and my bow and arrows?"

"Yeah. You never know when we'll need them." He said as we both got back on the bike.

"Right. See, don't you feel better now that you've got something with a little more umph?"

He chuckled softly. "Yeah, I guess. But let's go put some gas in this thing before we run out."

I nodded as we took off.

___________________________

When we got to a gas station, Takashi discovered it was one of those you have to put money in before you fill it up.

"Yuka, do you have any money?"

I searched in my backpack but no such luck. I shook my head. "That was the one thing I didn't think to bring. Sorry..."

He sighed. "I'll go inside and get some. Scream if anything happens."

I nodded before he left.

As I waited for Takashi, I set my bag down next to a pump, leaning against one myself as I kept my hand close to my knife, just in case I would have to stab someone, or something. But suddenly, I was attacked as I screamed, Takashi running out of the store.

"Yuka! What's wro--" he cut himself off as he saw me being held against my will by some jackass.

"Hey, you've got one hot piece of ass here. Lemme guess, you're sticking it to this bitch day and night. Oh--wait, you're not fuckin' her! What a pussy, man! Look at this!" He used his knife to cut the top of my shirt, revealing my corset as I struggled. "You wouldn't wanna get in on this?"

"Let go!!" I shoved him away and started running. "Taka--ahh!!" The man quickly grabbed my breast, squeezing it hard before stroking it roughly. "Takashi!!" I yelped, wanting to cry.

The man forced Takashi to fill up the bike as he did, but Takashi threw the bat, and I think I know why he did it. If my hunch was right, he did it to attract the zombies so he could get to me, but I couldn't be sure... These zombies are blind after all... All they can do is hear clearly and eat, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned...

When Takashi finished filling up the bike, he turned to the man who was still holding onto my breast.

"The bike is full, now let her go." He said.

"Start walking!"

Takashi took a couple steps until he turned to us again. "Come on man, I'm begging you."

"I said start walking!"

Takashi took a step forward, his hand near his pocket.

"Stay the fuck away from me motherfucker!"

Takashi then whipped out the gun I had found for him, running up to the man as he cocked it and held it to his chest. "The gas...the gas will blow us all up...!"

He glared. "It's better than someone stealing my girl." He said.

I gasped happily before he pulled the trigger, running into Takashi's arms. The man cursed us out as I took my hoodie off, ripping my shirt off. "You're lucky I didn't shoot you, you asshole." I spat, dropping my torn shirt to the ground. I put my hoodie back on before grabbing the bag and bat, getting on the bike behind Takashi as we took off.

After a couple hours of just riding in silence, the sun was coming up as it was already going on five in the morning. We drove up onto a bridge as I spoke up, breaking the silence between us.

"So this is it, huh... This is our life... Killing flesh eating monsters and surviving?"

"We'll make it through it, I know we will..."

I closed my eyes, laying my head on his back as I gripped his coat with my free hand. "Yeah, I guess so..."