Chapter 2: Democracy Under the Dead

The ride towards the main bridge felt like hours that were only minutes, 30 at least. I placed another cigaret in my mouth as I lit it, Kairi still milking her first one I gave her. It was already going on 5:00 as the sun was going to be setting in a few hours from now, and then Mr. Shido just had to talk to me.

"Ms. Yuka." He said, coming over to me.

"Can I help you?" I asked, annoyance obviously shown in my voice as I blew out a puff of smoke.

"Are you sure you should be, well, "smoking" very many of those?"

"And did I ask you to care about what I do and don't do? No, I didn't, so piss off." I said, taking in a breath from chai cigaret as I closed my eyes, resting head against my seat.

"Quite... Anyways, I take it you were the leader of this group?" He asked.

"Everyone contributed in their own way; there was no leader."

"Well that's not good. There should always be a leader in a group, Ms. Ryo."

I took my feet off the seat they were perched on, getting to my feet. "And since when did I ask you if I needed your opinion?" I asked. "Even when you were my teacher last year, I still never asked for your opinion and I don't plan on starting now." I placed my cigaret in my mouth, leaning against the seat with my left arm on the seat.

"Well since I am an adult, most of you are barely in your teens."

"You may think that, but you forget, Yuka and I were raised in a military camp, so we know full well how to handle ourselves, Mr. Shido." Kairi cut in.

"That may be the case, Ms. Kairi, but I am still a responsible adult and I vote that I should be the one to lead us."

"Well I don't understand why we have to be on the same bus as Takashi and these military brats." A blonde guy said as I glanced over to him.

"I didn't see the problem. I haven't even done anything to you, much less do I know you." Takashi said.

"What did you say!?" The blonde guy charged for the brunette as Takashi hit him in the stomach with his bat as he leaned over, gripping his stomach. I then lifted my foot and kicked him in the back as he hit the ground, probably giving a panty flash.

When he tried to get up, I took my knife out of its holster and pointed it right at his face. "Stay down."

He growled at me as I just glared back. "Know your place. I am a military general and I could easily break both your arms and legs if you cross me. Don't push your luck or it'll be the last thing you ever do. Are we clear?"

Then Mr. Shido started clapping as my gaze darted to him in a deathly glare. "You see, this is a perfect example why we need a leader to keep all of you in line." He said, pushing his black, rectangle glasses up on his nose with that creepy smirk he always had.

I lifted my knife, tossing it in the air as I spun a few times before catching the handle, continuing to toss it. "Perfect example? All this proves is that I don't take bullshit from anyone and he should know his place. I don't take orders from anyone except my Sargent in command, I give them to my cadets and show my trainee the ropes, dumbass."

"Now is that anyway to speak to an adult, Ms. Yuka?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I still had to respect you even though I have a higher ranking than you despite being 17-years-old." I said sarcastically.

The other students, except the ones I met in the Faculty Building and Ms. Shizuka, all agreed for some stupid ass reason to let Mr. Shido be the leader.

"There, you see? The people have chosen me to be their leader!" He said.

I growled, grabbing my bag as I went up to the front and jumped out the bus door onto the sidewalk. I then heard Takashi call out to me. "Yuka!"

I turned to him with a venomous glare. "No fucking way. I'm not staying there with him. I knew we should've left him for the dead, but you were so insistent on bringing him along. You're going to regret bringing him, Takashi."

"We'll both regret it, now get back on the bus." He said.

Saeko then gasped. "Shit! Okay, you gotta move now!"

"What?" Ms. Shizuka asked as a bus of zombies came speeding towards the bus.

Takashi grabbed my wrist as we ran towards a tunnel, the bus crashing as it came flying towards us. The brunette wrapped his arms around me as we jumped into the tunnel just before the bus crashed with a fiery explosion. Saeko then came out of the bus as Takashi went towards the opening that was now blocked.

"Are you two okay?" She called.

"We're fine!" He called back. "Meet us at the east police station!"

"What time?"

"7:00! If not today, then tomorrow at the same time!"

She nodded. "Be careful!" Saeko said before going back in the bus as Takashi and I went the opposite way to get out of the tunnel.