Chapter 19

FIVE YEARS LATER~

"Here's your change, sir," I said, holding out a couple of nickels to a man. He nodded and out the doors he went. I sighed and slumped in my chair. I peered to my left and saw a box of new books that just arrived. Considering that I was the only person on shift, I decided to put them on their respective shelves myself. Business was slow today anyway.

I finished shelving the books, when a woman came in the front door. She walked over and skimmed the shelves of books on the other side of the store. The way she strutted in looked familiar, but I couldn't identify who it was with her giant hat shading most of her face.

I hurried back over to the check out counter. She finally selected a book and walked over, fishing out some money from her Prada bag. She set the book down and took out a twenty dollar bill. She handed it over and that's when our eyes met. A glimmer of recognition sparked in her eyes, and that's when I finally knew who it was. It was Megan from highschool.

"Brooke?" she exclaimed, obviously surprised.

"That's me," I said, trying to be as enthusiastic as possible.

She smiled, and something was different about her smile now. It didn't look sinister. "Wow, you have changed a lot!" she continued.

I nodded, wondering if that was an insult or a compliment. I shook the thought off. We were adults now. I'd hoped she wouldn't hold a grudge over me still.

"You too," I said, plastering a fake smile. All while we talked, I'd rang up her item. She could've left already.

Finally, she spoke again, a great big smile on her face. "Well, it was nice seeing you again!"

"You too," I said again, smiling back.

Megan grabbed her things and then exited the book store, giving off a little wave.

I plopped back down in my chair, and pulled out a magazine to read. I glanced over to the clock; 6:45. I could leave here in 15 minutes. The sun had started to set, and I hated driving at night. Luckily, my apartment was right down the street.

Suddenly, the store doors burst open. Rachel ran in, cradling a handful of papers. "What's up?" I asked, shooting up from my chair. She struggled to catch her breath, and answered. "You.. won't.. believe.. where my.. family is.. going.."

"Where?" I asked, leaning on the edge of my seat. She sucked in a huge breath and spat, "LONDON!"

Those words smacked me in the face. Immediately the name, Thomas Sangster, popped into my head. No, I haven't forgotten about him. We haven't talked/texted in forever, though. We did a couple months after he moved, but then all connection stopped. I tried over and over to call or text him, but it all went to voicemail. I gave up eventually. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, months turned into years. We acted all lovey dovey when we first met, but now it's like we never existed. I sighed at the glum thought.

Rachel snapped her fingers in front of me. "Hello? You there?"

I blinked, being pulled out of my thoughts. "Huh? Oh yeah I'm here." Rachel raised an eyebrow.

"Why are you guys going to London?" I asked, trying to avoid the subject of my daydreaming.

"Oh, vacation. My whole family has always wanted to go. Such a beautiful place," she replied, staring off into the distance.

"Congrats," I said, an obvious hint of bitterness in my voice. I started organizing reports at my desk, avoiding her gaze.

She lowered her head down, looked at me with a slight smile and whispered, "Which is why you're going with me."

I froze, my eyes wide. I looked up at her, and she just smiled and nodded. "You're inviting me to come along for another reason, right?"

She nodded again, this time more slowly. I jumped up from my seat and hugged her. Rachel was taking me with her family, obviously because Thomas lived there. And she knew how I much I missed him. She was going to reunite us.

I'm sure my brother wouldn't care if I went with Rachel and her family to England.

"When do we leave?" I asked.

She smiled, "In a couple of days, so get packing."