Chapter 54

[Yo this is pretty long (wowow long chapter! it's been a while!) and it's all about Ao, babieeeeee.

Sorry to all the, uh, non-Ao enthusiasts, but she is my baby too so it's gonna happen. I've gotten a lot of criticism for continuing the other couples' stories rather than focusing on 'Ren', and I do take some fault in that the summary for this book doesn't mention everyone else in the slightest, buuuuut I do state it is part of a larger series. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate all kinds of tea regardless.

And just a heads up, next chapter will have Ben and Reese. Don't worry, you starving beasts.

A big thanks for keeping up with me along these long gaps between updates while I work on my Bachelors' degree and my job. Life is a weird ride, guys. But it makes for GREAT material hAhHA.

Also don't forget to wash your hands and stay hygienic, and don't TRAVEL OUT OF YOUR COUNTRY DAMMIT. I'm sick and tired of seeing COVID-19 news everywhere but it doesn't hurt to respect sanitary guidelines. Stay safe guys. And stay creepy blah blah bleeeeeh :p ]

Chapter 54

Ao's POV

It was pretty quiet in the mansion. The pets were sleeping (except for Ladon who was gnawing on a broken tree trunk outside). Masky and Hoodie were out on errands. Sally kept to her bedroom and played. Ben was out with that boy, Reese. And Jack was, well, in his bedroom asleep. Alone. As has been for the past few days ever since our argument out in the woods. Since then, I haven't wanted to face him and kept to myself in Slender's old study, researching. We haven't spoken since that day either. It's been pretty rough...

The only person I've really conversed with is Ms. P. She's always checking up on me and making sure I eat and drink properly. She's also been a great help with my research. And with all her help, I was able to finish faster than anticipated.

Tsuga canadensis. Eastern Hemlock. That was the species of the pine needle bunch I found in Jeff's room after he was taken away by Elizabeth. That type of evergreen tree can grow just about anywhere, but from what Ms. P could sense from it, the bunch dropped from a very healthy tree. Conditions would have to be just perfect for this meticulous plant—not too hot, not too cold. And it grows very well near the Canadian border and in states close by. So that means upper east states, like Minnesota, Indiana...and Illinois, where Elizabeth was born and raised. And when I looked into old records of her parents', I found they used to have a cabin in a closed off forest resort, which reviews said "are teeming with beautiful hemlock". I don't know Elizabeth all too well as much as the others do, but I can guess maybe she'd return back to her roots, a place of some familiarity—a cabin to call home.

It was time to find her and Jeff, and hopefully at least have a talk with them.

Jack had gone outside and I took this chance to get some clothes from the room. As I was dressing, there was a knock on the door. At first, I thought it was Jack returning, and answered reluctantly, "Come in."

Ms. P was the one who opened the door with a soft smile on her face. "Almost ready, dear?"

I nodded as I finally zipped up my windbreaker. As I grabbed my backpack, I noticed a peculiar look in her red eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked her.

Ms. P pursed her lips, then sighed and answered, "You're still not speaking with Jack?"

I couldn't help but frown a bit. "No, not right now."

"Won't you tell him where you're going?"

"No."

"Ao, love, perhaps he should know."