Chapter 23

[Finally done with AP exams!

But then I have finals....

AagghGGGGG.]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 23

Ben's POV

Ao was in the study, going over notes, maps, and charts she made herself. When I walked in, I was hesitant to interrupt her. Before I could decide to leave, she noticed me and said, "Hey, Ben."

"Hi," I greeted, slowly closing the door behind me.

Despite that she was surely stressed out, she looked better than before. Maybe because Jack has been back since last week and she's able to talk with him. Her complexion was less pale, her brow less taut into a frown, her eyes less dark and distracted-looking. She was able to relax a little more and take breaks, though she kept working as adamantly as always.

"Anything new?" I asked her.

She sighed quietly. "Unfortunately, not much."

"No one's said yes to helping?"

She shook her head tiredly. "Only ones are Toby and Clockwork, but we already know them, so I could expect them to help."

"Will they be staying here?"

"We have enough spare rooms to accommodate," she said. "And if it ever comes down to it, I'll give up mine and just stay with Jack."

"Well, lets hope that you'll have to," I said with a lighthearted chuckle. But even with that, the both of us seemed to silently acknowledge that maybe she might not have to.

Aside from trying to find and catch Ellie, Ao has been trying to recruit other people who are willing to fight with us. Keyword: willing. No one seems to be, and if they aren't willing to help, then they can just never be found. Those like Jane don't want anything to do with what we're dealing with. And there are those like Laughing Jack who "will show up to the party when it's getting started", which I think is total BS considering he's actually a really strong entity.

"So, how have you been?" I asked, wanting to change the subject before it bummed Ao out.

She shrugged and gave me a coy smile. "I've been managing."

"Gotten any sleep?"

"More so than I used to."

"How long ago is 'used to'?"

She paused. ".....a day ago."

I sighed. "Sheba, Sheba, Sheba. You need to take care of yourself first before you can take care of others."

"Ms. P tells me that all of the time," she commented.

"She's never wrong," I retorted, and knew the brunette was had when she threw her head back with a quiet huff.

"Rest," I said, leaning over to catch her gaze.

Her green eyes met mine and her expression softened. Tentatively, she reached her hands across the desk to collect all of the papers into one neat pile, then set it aside. Her head in her hands, she said, "Better?"