Chapter 27

[Won't be updating next Wednesday (June 14), and I'm not sure about the following weeks after that. I'm taking college classes for about four weeks (so all of June, basically), so I don't know how to schedule things just yet. Plus, I ran out of pre-written chapters. I'll let you all know.

Song in the multimedia is Lateralus by Tool.

Enjoy!]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 27

Elizabeth's POV

Once the Chevelle had disappeared into the night, I leaped over the railing of the stairs, landed on the ground, and hurried into the shadows. I'm going to have to remember this apartment building now that Reese thinks I live here.

Quickly, I summoned the black strings again so they could take me to where I really lived. In an instant, I was back in the warm safety of the old cabin. With a heavy sigh, I yanked off my boots and tossed them aside without a care. The moment I plopped down onto the couch in the living room it felt like all of my energy escaped. I took off my glasses and eyepatch, finally free from them. I felt gross from sweating at that festival, but too tired to bother getting up and bathing.

Alas, you can rest.

Zalgo appeared sitting on the arm of the couch. Despite my better judgement, I was too exhausted to give any witty, rude remark.

That boy, Reese, is an interesting sort, isn't he?

"Sure," I murmured, closing my eyes.

Quite the, uh...gentleman, in some regards...

"What are you getting at?"

Zalgo chuckled.

Nothing. I am only stating an observation.

"Okay?"

He's just interesting is all. And significant, it seems, if you were able to spill your emotions in front of him so soon.

"Are you trying to make fun of the fact that I cried in front of him?" I growled, opening one eye to glare at the former Lord of Chaos.

I am not making any fun, though I will say it was--how do you humans say?--'cringey' watching you sniffle and lament.

"Fuck you," I muttered. For extra emphasis, I raised up my hand and flipped him my middle finger.

Anyway, on a different note, it was a thrill watching you two fight together. It was almost as if your collaboration came naturally. Admittedly, he needs a little more work on his combat...

I frowned. "Again, what are you trying to get at?"

Zalgo merely shrugged and brushed at the sleeves of his suit (there's literally nothing there for him to brush off).

It wouldn't be strange to envision him as a soldier. Such drive and energy. He'd make the country proud.

Sitting up, I hissed in suspicion, "Why the hell would you even think about this country and its army? They don't matter to you."