Best Friends

Dedication: @renebina, because she is great with advice and has helped me iron out some plot points. :)

I am actually truly sorry for not updating in a while. I don't believe in posting anything that isn't my best, and you guys don't deserve that. I wrote an extra long chapter mny of you have been wanting to compensate.

A few terms that would be helpful to know for this chapter are

Gelding- Male horse, that has been "fixed".
Mare- Female horse.
Barrel racing (barrels)- An event in the rodeo, in which a horse and rider gallop around three barrels in a clover leaf pattern.
Pole bending- Another western event, horse and rider weave through a row of standing up poles as fast as they can.
Broncs- The term used for a "bucking horse", that cowboys have to ride for eight seconds to have a chance at winning the event. There are also "saddled broncs" which are another event in the rodeo. Broncs are literally born to buck, and don't worry, it's not animal cruelty or anything.
Trick riding- Trick riding is basically performing crazy stunts on the back of a horse. Some different tricks include the Shoulder Stand, the Side back-bend, and the Stroud Layout. Trick riding is usually used as a sort of "intermission" in the rodeo to keep the crowd entertained while they switch events. A different type of saddle needs to be used to trick ride.
A steer- A term referring to a type of cattle used in the rodeo for events called "Team Roping" and "Bulldoging".
Team Roping- An event in which two people on horses have to work together to "rope" a steer. One person is the "header" and one is the "heeler", each responsible for robing either the head or the heel of the steer.
Bulldoging- Bulldoging is an event where, simply put, a cowboy has to rope a steer and jump off his horse, and hold the steer down.

Above, I put the song "Come With Me Now" for you to listen to when Scarlett's trick riding. The next picture is a trick called the Suicide Drag, Scarlett's favourite trick.

There are some quotes in this chapter that, though I had inspiration, I made up.

.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.@.

Scarlett's POV

I woke up Saturday morning to my phone buzzing, blaring the Game of Thrones theme song. I groaned, blindly feeling around for the device, popping one eye open, to my dismay. I slid the "slide to answer" not paying any attention to the name of the caller.
"Hello...?" I mumbled.
"Did I wake you?" I immediately recognized James' voice, and I sat bolt upright.
"Agh! What time is it?"
"Relax, Scarlett. I'm about half an hour away. I just wanted to make sure you were up so I don't show up and you aren't ready." I grinned.
"Right, right. I'll call Dick, get him to come over."
"Seriously, I can't believe that kid's name is Dick."

I rolled my eyes.
"Be nice." I scolded. "I'll see ya in a bit." I smiled and James laughed.
"I can't wait." Then he hung up and I threw back my duvet, and dragged myself out of bed, shaking my head to fluff out my messy hair. Then I texted Dick.

Scarlett Donovan: James'll be here in half an hour, so you can come over now.

After I had a super fast shower, I dried off and yanked on a pair of jeans and a bra. I started braiding my wet hair when I heard a knock on the door. I cursed under my breath, grabbing my purple plaid shirt, hastily buttoning it, whilst running to get the door. Clove was barking away, and I called "das ust genug!" And she ceased, and I opened the door. Dick was standing there, a backpack on, along with jeans, a black shirt and- I looked to his feet.

Cowboy boots.

I raised my eyebrows. "Where did you get those?" I asked, a little shocked.
"I went out and bought them." He replied, glancing at my chest. I groaned inwardly when I noticed my shirt had two buttons undone at the top, instead of one, exposing more cleavage. I quickly turned away, letting him into the room. I did up the button and turned around again.
"They're really nice." I commented on his brown boots, embroidered with a lighter brown stitch.
"Why were you speaking German just before I came in?"
"You speak German?"
"A little. Does Clove only understand German?"
"No. She knows English commands as well." I told him, patting the German Shepherd's head. "How many languages can you speak?"