18

The sheriff placed an X through Tracy's picture and said, "Chimeras."

Stiles shrugged. "Well, yeah, two dead Chimeras."

"And new eight ones," Lucy said, slouching in her chair. "That's..." she thought for a moment. "Ten."

Sheriff Stilinski didn't turn around, focused on his board. He tacked up another picture. "I'm thinking 11." Lucy noticed Stiles tensing up as his mouth opened. "Out station tech guys confirmed something for me." He turned around. "They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys..."

"Dread Doctors," Lucy interrupted.

The sheriff frowned, turning to her. "Are we really calling them that?"

"Unless you can think of a better name, yes. You're thinking they broke Donovan out?"

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?"

Stiles rubbed Lucy's shoulder as he said, "Donovan's a Chimera."

The sheriff nodded. "Yeah. But is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

"If he is, he's probably dead."

"Not until I've seen a body." He studied his son. "You're uncharacteristically quiet."

Stiles locked eyes with his dad. "Yeah. Sorry... I'm, uh, I'm just trying to think about it. Uh... these are are all strangers, right? So, now shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that... burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail..."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random."

Lucy shook her head, standing up. She walked over to the board and looked at it. "There's something in common with them. There was something that made them right for this experiment, but I can't figure it out."

They made their way to Scott's and Lucy sighed. "Lyds, there's no way I'll be able to read and focus. Dyslexia and all."

Lydia ignored her. "My mom's book club usually has more wine."

Stiles let out a sarcastic chuckle. "Well, they also probably didn't read books that caused violent hallucinations."

"That's why Malia's here," Scott told him.

Kira frowned. "So none of us go running into traffic?"

"Or worse."

"Like what happened to Judy," Malia said. She noticed their confused looks. "Chapter 14."

Lydia grabbed the only actual book and looked at it. "Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone."

Lucy was handed a stack of papers and sighed.

Stiles muttered, "Yeah, if it works."

"It has to," Lydia replied.

"What does that mean?" Scott asked Lydia.

Lydia met his eyes. "I think I saw them during surgery. When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like..."

"A memory trying to surface," Theo finished.

Stiles tensed up and Lucy stood in front of him.

Lydia looked at Theo and nodded. "Yeah."

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira questioned.

"If they did something to me, I want to know what it is."

Each teen, excluding Lydia and Lucy, grabbed a stack of papers and scattered across the room. Lucy and Stiles were on the couch. She was resting her feet on his lap with her back pressed against one end of the couch. Scott and Kira were across from them, on the other couch. Theo and Lydia were each in a chair and Malia was on the floor.

They started reading and after a couple minutes, Lucy put her papers down because the words were swimming off the page.

"Anyone feel anything yet?" Scott asked.

"Bored and distracted," Lucy said.

"Tired," Kira replied, trying to keep her eyes open.

"Hungry," Lydia answered.

Theo gave a small smile. "I think he meant the book."

Lucy tried reading again, but it seemed the words were swimming more so than before.

Scott looked between Lucy and Kira. "You two aren't giving up, are you?"

"Just resting my eyes," Kira told him.

Lucy sighed. "I think I might. As I figured, I can't read this."

Her eyes started drooping and her head dropped. She felt herself shifting and her head rested on Stiles' lap.

The next day at school, Scott looked between his friends. "We keep an eye out for each other today, okay?"

Stiles gripped Lucy's hand. "Yes, and keep an eye out for eight other potentially homicidal Chimeras."

"And keep an eye out for the Dread Doctors," Kira added.

They separated and made their way to class.

Liam ran into Lucy's class and grabbed her wrist.

"Miss Becenti," the teacher yelled. "Mr. Dunbar!"

Lucy frowned. "What's wrong?"

Liam held up the inhaler. "Scott needs it. Come on!"

In Mrs. Finch's room, Scott was sitting against her desk.

Lucy shook Scott's shoulder a few times, but he didn't respond. She focused on scaring him as Liam showed his werewolf eyes and growled Scott's name.

Scott shook his inhaler and took a puff. "Thanks, Lucy. Thanks, Liam."

As they made their way to the hospital, Lucy was in a room staring at an eight-year old version of herself and noticed a tall black-haired man and a petite brunette woman.

"My dear, please. We need to get her out of here."

Lucy looked at her mother. "I don't want to leave."

"I know, darling, but we must be leaving."

The building shook and Hades covered Hanna and Lucy, but a large piece of rubble hit Hanna's head, instantly killing her.

"Mama!" Lucy screamed.

Hades covered the girl and one of the Furies appeared.

"Alecto, take her to the Lotus Hotel and Casino and wipe her memory."

Alecto nodded and took Lucy's hand. "Come on, little girl."

Scott looked at her. "Lucy, are you okay?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm good. Come on."

They got to the hospital and Theo left the friends alone to fight.

Scott was attacked by one of the Dread Doctors. A device resembling a taser was pressed to him, causing him to groan in pain. Lucy kicked the Doctor away and put her knee on his chest, her knife to his throat.

The Doctor flipped her and knocked her knife away.

Lucy crawled and grabbed her sword just as the Dread Doctor came at her with the taser.  She turned her knife into a sword and Stygian Iron met with electricity. She let out a yell and called a couple skeleton warriors to fight.

"Lucy, Malia, come on! Run!" Melissa cried.

They ran into the elevator and after the doors closed, Scott turned to them. "We never should have read that book."