14

Lucy sat on the couch in the sheriff's office listening to Stiles and his dad. "I know his family left town around the time Theo was nine or ten. His older sister died in an accident when he was eight."

The sheriff let out a sigh. "Please go to school."

"Dad, this kid's a werewolf."

"Your best friend is a werewolf. You are dating a demigod. I still don't know what Kira's supposed to be. When the flying monkeys come soaring through this station, you will have my undivided attention. Until then, just go to school."

Lucy grinned. "The Wizard of Oz. I love that movie. And there's something off with Theo. He could be a werewolf."

Sheriff Stilinksi sighed and Stiles glanced to his dad, confusion on his face. "What did you do?"

"What?" He asked, glancing down at his uniform and back up. "What do you mean, "What did I do?"?"

"There's something different about you."

"What are you talking about?"

Stiles started sniffing his dad like a dog. "What is it? What's different?"

Lucy pulled him back. "I knew you were weird, but this is pushing it. We should get to school."

The sheriff let out a groan. "For the love of God, Stiles, just go to school. Your girlfriend is right."

Stiles pointed to his dad. "I will go if you promise to do a full background check of the Raekens."

"No. You know what? Just because I'm the only law enforcement officer who knows anything about this, does not make it my responsibility to do something every single time you have a minor suspicion."

Lucy scoffed slightly. "I suppose my minor opinion doesn't matter."

Parrish made an appearance. "And they're not the only ones."

She turned to Parrish and smiled. "If it's not too much of an inconvenience, could you do a background check on the Raekens? Please and thank you, Deputy Parrish."

He nodded and smiled. "Sure. I'll let you know if I find something."

Stiles' eyes widened and the sheriff frowned. "Parrish!"

On their way to school, Stiles glanced to Lucy. "How did you do that? I've never been able to get a deputy to do something for me the first time asking."

She grinned. "I asked sweetly. And I may look dark and menacing, but a smile says everything. And Parrish is a nicer deputy than some of the others. We need to find out all we can about Theo."

Stiles nodded and said, "Speeding ticket signed by Theo's dad eight years ago."

"Right. So what does that imply?"

"Who speeds?"

"Most of the drivers in the world. How many tickets do you have?"

He smirked. "None."

She tilted her head. "And how many tickets would you have if your dad didn't bail you out?"

"Seventeen."

Stiles took her hand as they made their way to the front doors. She stopped and stared at the school. "Lu? What is it?"

"I just--This is the first school I haven't moved from mid-year or kicked out of. Not that there's many. I'm going to be a senior."

Stiles grinned. "Maybe it's because of all the awesome people you've met."

"Meaning you."

"Well, you're one of them."