Chp 17

CAMILLE

I stood in place, still slightly confused by August's failure to respond to what i'd said. He just left. Didn't say a word.

I briefly wondered if he'd even heard what i'd said.

Shaking my head, I continued to get dressed, removing one of my many hats from the hook in which it resided. Placing it onto my head, I grabbed my bag , along with my phone, before clsoing the door to my room and heading down the large staircase closest to my hall.

Everyone was standing in the foyer, engaged in their own conversations. I scanned the room before spotting Trinity, who was standing near the door. I walked over, ignoring the whispers that were directed towards me. My name seemed to never leave these bitches mouths. I'd long learned to ignore it and go about my business. Occassionally, a few stepped outta line and had to be reminded that I wasn't one to entertain bullshit.

I turned towards Drew, one of Mallorie's little side-kicks.

"Is there something you'd like to say? I can't understand that mumbling shit."

She eyed me before turning back to the group of hoes she'd been entertainin.

Trinity gave me some dap, laughing. "Damn, 'Mille, you stay puttin these hoes in they place."

I shook my head, and rolled my eyes. "I'm tired of these females talking shit. If they want August, they can have his ass."

"Girl, you're crazy. Most, if not all these hoes in here be tryna get to Ant. He don't be payin no attention to they asses."

She rose her voice as she stated the last part, making sure everyone in the foyer could hear her.

"Not me. I don't play that shit. I'm just here to make money to be able to feed my daughter."

I turned to Eve, noticing her for the first time since i'd walked up. She was a pretty latina with long black hair. I'd never had any run-ins with her, and I knew that she must be cool if Trinity was hangin with her. Shit, Trinity didn't fuck with any of the females besides me. I gave her a small smile, and she returned it.

"That's all i'm tryna do....well minus the whole daughter situation." We briefly laughed before I continued. "I just wanna focus on my money. I don't need all these extra dilemmas."

We continued to talk, and Eve even showed me a picture of her 3 year old daughter, who was a spitting image of her.

"She's adorable."

Eve grinned, and I could tell she was proud of her creation.

"Thank you."

Her smile slowly faded. "I just wish I could see her more. She lives with her grandma...."

I wanted to question her further, but I didn't wanna upset her. As if reading my thoughts, she put the phone away, continuing. "I wasn't in the position to take care of her. My income was low....I was stripping just to get us by, and child care services found me to be 'unfit.'"

She shook her head lightly and scoffed. "So, i'm just here until I can make enough money to quit this shit and provide for her."

I couldn't imagine what it must have felt like to lose your child. I briefly glanced around, wondering if everyone was here for similar reasons. Interrupting my thoughts, Black walked into the foyer, looking pissed.

"Why the fuck y'all standing around chillin and shit? We runnin on a schedule!"

"We're waiting on Mallorie. Everybody's here but her ass." Trinity spoke, obviously just as irritated as Black. I knew that if Gio was here, we would've been left Mallorie's ass. But she was off preparing T.J. for the week that both her and Trim would be gone while at the event.