Chapter 15: The end of the end

'Dewey, I don't want our relationship to be broken like that anymore.  We are no longer small children and probably ... we should be able to talk like normal people '.

Webby said it very quickly and then looked uncertainly at Dewey.  She didn't want to postpone anything anymore or beat around the bush.  She really missed joint adventures and spending time together.  She also didn't want to give Dewey a chance to suddenly turn around, back away or anything. 

They were standing at the door and, although none of them said anything, they both wanted to say something.  Webby, however, wanted Dewey to speak now.
However, duck just stood a bit stressed and probably terrified of their meeting.  In addition, nothing could be read from his face.  Nervously, she began to nervously play with the end of the strand of hair that she was spinning around her finger.  The air she breathed seemed to escape in an unknown direction.  Although she burned the first words very quickly, she couldn't make even one logical thought. 
A great sense of guilt flooded her because if she hadn't avoided Dewey all this time, she probably wouldn't have been in the whole situation.  Plunged in her own nervousness, she did not hear or see that Dewey came closer now.  She jerked as he put his hand on her shoulder. 

She raised her head and couldn't meet his eyes, for at the same time Dewey hugged her.  Confused and at the same time with a sense of tremendous relief, she returned the hug and smiled.

'I'm terribly sorry, Webby!  I just wanted Huey and Louie to leave me alone ... But I wish any of these things I said ... I'm sorry. ' 

He freed Webby from his embrace and met her eyes with a half-certain smile.  They both felt a huge boulder fall from their hearts. 

Friendship like theirs should not end with any quarrel or misunderstanding.

'I'm sorry too.  I should talk to you instead of running away from you.  I just never had a close friend like you and ... I thought the whole world was falling apart.  I'm glad it's the end of the end! '

She said with a sincere smile and once more threw herself into Dewey and hugged him so hard that he had to beg for her to let him go. 
The air seemed light and fresh again, and all bad emotions vanished immediately. 
Dewey and Webby started laughing, not knowing what they were doing.  Everything took on its color and its former glow again.

'If it wasn't for your mother and grandmother, I don't know if I would have the courage to go looking for you.  Although we must probably thank your brothers too, because thanks to them our friendship became stronger when we honestly know what we think about ourselves, right?'

Webby laughed and looked happily into the corridor that led to the triplets' room.
Dewey laughed and ran his fingers through his hair.

'Maybe we can go to them or something.  I think it shocked them pretty well.  At least they have a lesson! '

Webby nodded and they were about to walk down the hall when Louie came around the corner. 

He was walking towards them, but he probably didn't even notice their presence.  Strangely hunched even for him, he passed them quickly and turned into another corridor.  Dewey called after him, but he was answered by deaf silence and Webby's questioning look. 

They both suddenly realized something.

They looked at each other fearfully. 

"I guess this is not the end"
they said at the same time and cast one last look in the direction Louie had gone.

A/N
Another shorter chapter.  Remember that the book is coming to an end, so I want more chapters!
And as soon as this book is over, I officially start "Dark Spell and The Sapphire!"