Chapter 39 ♕ The Challenger and a Champion

Valeriana somewhat wanted to regret ever agreeing to go along with Corvan's 'plan'. Quite honestly, in comparison to the 'Charles Style' of formulating tactics, his was very . . . 'Corvan'.

By that, she meant that it was very reckless, impulsive, and much too risky. Charles was his complete opposite—very calculating. He took every factor a consideration to his plan-making and every disadvantage and advantage. Corvan was more on that 'I-go-with-what-I-feel-will-be-great' side that was based solely on his instincts and what he thought was right.

However, backing down would no longer be effective, for it was too late to change her mind. Aside from having already gone too far into it, seeing how Corvan was so determined to have this mini-mission of theirs successful made her incapable of trying to talk him out of it.

They were already somewhere near the sanctuary the demon and the lady had taken and were preparing to put their plan into action.

Seeing him now, Valeriana could see how serious he could get with everything he took . . . well, seriously. Corvan might be a stick-in-the-mud most of the time, but his earnestness and solemnity brought him the advantage. He was able to keep himself focused and performed every task well—which Valeriana felt envious of.

"I'll go first and restrain the demon. You come out when I tell you to and take the girl. Do you understand? Avaro will help you with the job since I do not trust your work very much."

But the only thing she did not like about him very much was his overconfidence and distrust in her abilities. Geez, now she was wondering where the hell all his comforting words went. Did he mean them at all? Or did he say it just to shut her up?

She bit down on her upper lip as she looked up at the green-eyed lord and prepared herself for another retort. Her words, however, died in her throat when she saw Corvan's fixated gaze ahead. It was as though nothing else could disrupt him—not when he looked like that, rather.

Without Valeriana's consent, she automatically fell quiet as her eyes widened a small fraction. As usual, Corvan appeared too cool for her eyes to take in that she had to just avert her attention to something else.

God, why did he have to be so freaking . . . handsome? How was she supposed to tell him off when he looked like that?

Crap.

Valeriana started fidgeting as her stomach twisted into an uncomfortable tangle. Her cheeks warmed to a few degrees that left a rosy tint staining her cheeks.

That idiot . . . devil!

She bit the inside of her cheeks and puffed a short breath through her nose, her brows furrowing as her lips formed a small pout of protest. And just as she started having thoughts about injustice, Corvan spoke once again that forced her out of her reverie.

"Valeriana, I do not need you losing focus." His deep voice scolded softly.

The girl dragged her gaze to his and shot him a glare. "Now whose fault is it?"

"It sure cannot be mine." He countered.

"Whatever, jerk!" She hissed at him.

"Now, what is it again?" The young lord glared down at her. "Stop initiating useless fights for nonsensical reasons. I've no desire to get into an argument with you right now. Save whatever you have later, and maybe I'll bother replying to them."

Valeriana held back her irritation and turned to Avaro who was crouched beside her, waiting for any instructions he was required to follow. The beast offered her the sanctuary she needed, so she chose to cuddle with him instead and wrapped her arms instinctively around his furry neck.