8• A Marionette's Games

🥀

🥀

In Third•

Dr. Roberts eyes the room solemnly after North's demand echoed throughout the air, ending with a resounding silence that thumped emptily. Sean and Owen were eyeing him almost anxiously. Owen being more perceivably agitated and cautious.

North stood by the lovely Rue, like a snarling guard dog ready to rip out the throats of any fool daring enough to come near her. Rue lay motionless under the covers of the hospital bed. Her black hair still sticks to her pale skin, wet with rain. Her dark blue eyes, like stagnant dark waters, stare up at North as if she's unsure of what to make of him. So frail she looks now, laying next to the rabid beast standing sentinel beside her.

Cerberus and his lady.
The black knight and his morbid queen.

Dr. Roberts' eyes widen as he takes this scene in fully. How Rue, who trusts no one, is looking up at North as if he holds all the answers that'll make it better. North, who rarely lets anyone into their tight knit family, who has his body positioned ready to pounce. Owen, who is typically calm and composed, seemingly rattled and on guard. Sean, who had at first been wary of the girl, who now eyes him with blatant accusation and a protective stance in front of Rue that he doubts Sean notices he's done subconsciously.

"Oh, dear." Dr. Roberts murmurs as he takes them all in repeatedly. He places his hands behind his back and shuts his eyes for just a moment as he thinks over how best to proceed. This changes things. None of them realize, not even Rue, how involuntary their involvement with each other has just become.

Their fates are forever intertwined, damned to her side for all eternity. A curious turn of events. Rue's creation was unconventional to say in the least, so different from how her kind is typically summoned. He never thought she'd be susceptible to this particular trait of the Methuselah.

His eyes open, accepting what needs to be done. Looking each man in the eyes, he tells them," Call up your brothers. We have much to discuss."

The sirens outside quieted, catching all of their attention. Dr. Roberts stares out at the stormy skies as if seeing a world from long ago," Yes, call them up now. It must be done."

The three men watch him with wide eyes while he slowly walks over to Rue's bedside. Her head tilts to look over at him. Her deep eyes that always swallowed him whole, peer up at him like a small frightened child. He gives her a gentle smile, placing his warm hand over her cold fingers," I'll tend to Rue. Page me as soon as the others arrive. Have Gabriel keep her company while we talk."

Dr. Roberts doesn't look up to make sure they leave. His dismissal is very clear. The three share a look, each glancing back only once at Rue, before leaving the hospital room. North watches as he shuts the door behind him, seeing Dr. Roberts begin to pet her hair.