16• Knock, Knock

🥀

🥀

Rue•

Luke walks beside me as we make our way along the path in the woods behind my home. He'd invited me to get me out of the house after the disfigured trinket had been left on my door. I'd been too distraught to not agree. The others are still sorting it out even now. My embarrassing display still makes me want to hide my face in my hands and never look up again. I'm just all out of sorts.

It's the first time I've truly been alone with any of them since they found out about Methuselah and their Cadavers.

I'll admit to being a bit nervous. I've never been good at making friends, let alone building a relationship with someone who might become romantically involved with me. I still believe they'll spurn me, but the temptation to create more with them is too tantalizing to resist.

I want to soak up as much of these moments as possible, so that I may have something to hold onto when the dark days return.

Luke is one of the more beautiful men in my horde. His blonde hair shines in the autumn sun despite its dim luminosity this time of year. His brown eyes twinkle with mischief and humor endlessly, as if he finds existing alone humorous.

He's wearing a brown designer sweater that falls to his hips over a black plain tee and jeans. His hands are tucked into his pockets, lips curling up.

I myself am wearing a simpler plaid dress with a white Peter Pan color. It's not what I'd typically wear, but it fits the season.

Luke looks at me out of the corner of his eyes at the same time I do

Luke looks at me out of the corner of his eyes at the same time I do. I blush from being caught out, a grimace twisting my features in what I'm sure is an unflattering expression, and look away. He chuckles, but doesn't comment on it.

"So what do you do for fun, Rue?"
I tilt my head up at him, completely baffled by his question. It feels completely random in context, but perhaps I'm just looking too deeply into it. Perhaps it's simply a question to get the conversation started.