18• Hysteria

🥀

🥀

•North•

I can't believe it. I can't believe that my brother is the same rabbit like monster cradling Rue in his two massive paws. Its unnaturally long fingers wrap around her body like a birdcage, her entire small being cupped in his palms alone. He holds her up that way, holding her to his face where he nuzzles that horrific face against her own.

I know in the back of my mind that the tattered cardigan hanging off its body is the same one Luke had on when he went out with Rue not an hour ago to get her mind off of the shitshow back at her house. I know he isn't a threat to her just based on how he's crooning out a wretched melody in some sort of fucked up lullaby to sooth her. Knowing this doesn't stop the knee jerk reaction I have to yank her away from the monster I call brother.

He's unnaturally gangly and tall, nearing at least twelve feet in height. His torso doesn't even make up most of his mass. No, that'd be the gangly limbs with their massive hands and feet. He stands like a rabbit about to leap, on his toes that flex with lethal talons. His skin is a red leathery sinew that looks like flayed flesh from afar but doesn't have the wet gleam of blood. His head's more angular than the Cadavers we'd seen in those photos. His cheekbones are higher causing his cheeks to sink in more prominently and has his suture-like mouthful of fangs standing out in stark contrast. The lower teeth nearly reach his nose they're so long, and his upper teeth definitely reach the end of his chin. 

He looks right at me as soon as I take a mindless step in their direction. Bringing Rue closer to his chest, his head jerks forward, looming over her protectively. The suture teeth untwine when his mouth opens to let out a roar of warning. Inside his mouth is pure black, a void full of spiraling teeth that move side to side - a silent warning that if he ever manages to get his mouth on me, he'd grind me to a pulp and swallow my savaged carcass without issue. 

We've known this was coming...in theory. We've known we'd turn into this monster Luke's become. It's one thing to think about it though and another entirely to see it with my own eyes.

Sean comes over to stand beside me, hands out in surrender and eyes not breaking contact with Luke's, "Luke. I know you want to hold her, but she's injured. I need to tend to her injuries." 

Luke snuffs out heavy gusts of air like he's a bull about to charge or a predator scenting his prey in the air. Sean swallows, keeping his hands up while he crouches down to appear less threatening to Luke. "I know, I know. She's yours and you want to protect her, but she's also ours. You know that, Luke. You know us. We're your friends, your family, and you're holding our newest precious member. You can keep holding her, but I have to look her over. I'm a doctor, remember? Just come over here for a bit so we can make sure she's okay?"