4• Circus of Vices

🥀

🥀

•Rue•

Night has fallen here.
My day was long and exhausting, having a particularly uncomfortable event I'd rather forget. That Luke walked me home no matter how much I protested. It was a moot point I suppose, as he already knows where I live.

Are people always so interactive with each other?

I sigh as I turn away from the window. I'd been watching Dakota's house when he came out to walk his dog. It wasn't long before Dakota looked up and locked eyes with me. We were lost in one another, as curious and inquiring folk are with new things. His emerald eyes softened as they looked at me and I'll admit mine did the same.

He gave me a small smile and a wave. Hesitantly, I raised my hand and let my fingers fall one at a time in an unsure wave of my own.

Dakota is quite bizarre. He looks at me as if he sees things everyone else is blind to. It leaves me feeling exposed and vulnerable, feelings I'm not fond of.

I'm very good at masks, at hiding the obscene. Never before have I been met with the problem of exposure. One does not survive as long as I have by being easily revealed to the naked eye.

I look at the living room with dead eyes, a small pang in my heart as always after seeing his pet.

I once had a dog.

We had to part ways recently.

I begin my trek up the stairs, knowing my routine by heart. When the sun rises, I visit mother. When the sun sets, I visit brother.

The grandfather clock I pass ticks rapidly in reverse as I make my way up, the squared spiral leading me to the nesting place of those who cannot handle reality.

As I reach the landing of the second floor, I pause. My head tilts to the right as I stare down the hall of doors. Each leads to a secret, a secret I must keep. The dark purple and smoky lavender pinstriped wallpaper adds an eerie touch to our eerie house.

I glower in annoyance at it. Damn Draven.

I'm very aware it had been identical to the green and ivory pattern downstairs just this morning. It's just part of our curse I know. However, it's going to be a pain having to explain these sudden 'renovations' if we have anymore unwelcome guests.

With a dainty huff, I make my way down the hall towards his room. I dislike his door as well. It reeks of ash.

I pause just before his door, still facing the end of the hall. Then I abruptly spin on one toe, my pose and posture remaining in place, so I'm facing his door. There's scorching around the black frame, the bottom of the door crackles and warps as if a great fire lies behind it.