Chapter 4 - Growing Affection

[Angela's Point of View]

I got a blinking notification on my laptop. It's a new message from my yahoo messenger.

"Hi Angela, how are you now? I'm sorry for everything."

"Hi, Ernest. I'm fine and I already have forgiven you a long time ago," I replied while my eyes starting to get wet.

"I know. But I am still guilty of what I have done."

"That's okay. I think we are not meant to be together. So how was the girl you got pregnant there in Dubai?"

"Actually she needs to be sent back to Manila before the authorities notice that. I also terminated my contract here so that I can go with her back to the Philippines."

"Well then, hope everything will go fine both of you and the baby."

Then I noticed a text while it was vibrating on my desk. I was shocked and smiled.

"So this text has been sent Anabelle?" I replied to James.

"Yes, and she asked me what it is. Actually, I'm nervous, but I have now enough courage to tell her!"

[James' point of view]

Then I dialed in my keypad so quick to call Belle.

"Hi Belle, how are you? What I am going to tell you is..." I paused for very long.

"What is that James?" Anabelle asked.

"Remember when we were in college, there was a rose that was put in your armchair?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Remember when there was a poem written in a sticky note in your locker?"

"Remember one Valentines' Day, a bar of chocolate was found inside your bag? It was I who put it all. Because.." I paused very long again.

"Because I like you, Belle. I really hoped that we could be together someday. But I was just afraid that you will avoid me if you know it because I feel that you only see me as a friend." I said in the text as I breathed deeply.

Finally, I confessed! The magma inside my heart has erupted and the pressure inside exploded like a popcorn escaped from a casserole.

"I see James. I did not know. But thank you anyway. I just thought you see me as a sister only."

" I feel guilty because I cannot reciprocate how you feel. I love you only as a brother. If only I had a sister, I would vouch for you!"

"That's okay Belle, at least I told you about what I feel." I was weakened while I replied to her.

"I'm sorry again James. Rest assured, nothing changes in our friendship."

Then a flow of tears starting to drip in my eyes like a glass filled with cold water as I sat in the edge of the stairs. There is nothing more painful than unrequited love because it's investing in something that does not return profits. 

"Angela, she said that I'm only a brother to her," I called her while sobbing.

"I understand James. You can find a better girl that can return your feelings. You can learn so much from this."

**********

Moments later, our party ended and I started walking slowly like a zombie wandering as I was still tipsy going to my home. I washed my sorrowful and sleepy face and then went straight to bed leaning my face to the foam.

"Hi James, does it still hurt?" a man approached me as he was sitting on a bench. The man is bloody in his face and there is no beauty in his appearance to take notice of him. It's the same man again on my dreams.