(Va Devote')

"What? I don't see anything," I say, squinting.

"Replay the handshake."

"It's not a VHS tape, but whatever." I concentrate on that memory and bring it back up.

"There! Can you see it?"

"See what?" I exclaim, frustrated.

She smiles patiently and leans in close to the image. "Here, look at his hand."

I copy her stance and focus my gaze on his hand as he reaches out to shake mine. My eyes widen in shock as I see the tiny black root strapped to his finger.

"What is that?"

"What caused your sickness. Come on. This is all I need."

My head jerks painfully and our hands spring off each other's wrists. The flames die, leaving purple and blue dust to fall to the floor.

"Did it work?" Bella asks tentively.

"Yes, it did," Zara states happily.

The full weight of what that means comes down on me. Zara wasn't lying. She's my sister.

"Do you know what did it?" Carlisle asks.

"It was this," she says, and holds out her hand.

In it, lies the small root we saw in Adrian's hand. It's the same abyss black as what I threw up. I step back from it.

"Don't worry, it's just an illusion so I can show you what it is. This root is quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing with it. To be honest, I'm a little puzzled as to how the boy got it."

"Boy?" Jasper asks.

"Yes. The boy, I think his name is Adrian, had it in his hand when they met," Zara explains.

"Not a word, Bella. Not a word," I say, holding up a finger when I see her open her mouth to speak.

"Are you saying Adrian tried to cast a spell on her?" Jasper asks with a dangerous edge to his voice.

Zara peers at the image of the root in her hand. "I would say so, yes. But it'll take a bit more work to figure out what kind of spell."

Jasper's jaw locks, the muscle jumping. His clenched hands accentuate the scars on them. An air of fury gathers around him.

I walk over and wind my arm with his, hoping to at least relax him a little. Or prevent him for murdering a certain Quilete boy.

He responds to my touch, as always, and uncurls his fists. But the red tint stays in his eyes.

"Where would he get a root like that?" Rosalie asks.

"I don't know. It's rare, and only found in areas with a strong source of Eala. Or dark magic," Zara explains.

"You're telling me Adrian used dark magic on me?" I ask, my own rage coming to a boil.

"Maybe not intentionally. He might not have known the full extent of what he was doing."

Part of me wants to believe that. That Adrian just happened to have that in his hand. He was a good friend to me before everything went sideways.

But with all this evidence, every corner leading to him having been the one to make me this ill. It kills any hope that part has.

The Cullens all look equally disturbed or angry. Scattered around the room, I finally understand why, as a Coven, they are left alone. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of their joint wrath. Never mind their powers.