The Vampire Rose

Chapter 1:

Boom! Boom!

Concentrate, concentrate....Boom! Boom!

    My weary eyes looked up from the book I was reading. The noise from the boom box outside had plagued me for the last time. I placed the bookmark at my stopping point in the book, since I think that dog-earing the corners is so wrong. Then laid the book gently, yet forcefully down on the table. I took off my glasses, and laid them down next to my still steaming cup of hot cocoa. I had been completely focused on my books today. It had been a long time since I had gotten any reading done. But that was so hard to do when there was nothing but that infernal rap music playing loud enough to make my ears bleed. I got up form my comfy, overstuffed chair, and walked with intention to the checkout desk. Bending down in order to get to the shelves inside it, I brought a box out, and laid it on top of the counter. Taking the lid off the box, I rifled through the selection that was in there. Me, personally, not liking some rap music, such as the kind that was being played out side, calmly took out a CD that I knew that they would dread. I opened the case, it squeaked slightly as I did, I turned around and placed it in my own boom box. I pressed play when it was done loading.

    Lonestar's Amazed suddenly blared out of the speakers. I turned the volume up as loud as I could. The music started to course through my body. Looking around, from what I could see no one was in the shop, so I started to twirl around the room. Soon I was so caught up in the music, as I was swinging around, I grabbed a near by broom . I danced around the room with it. Using it as my dance partner, and my microphone, I danced until I got dizzy. My gypsy style skirt was twirling about my legs, my anklet was jingling with the bells it contained. Suddenly, it seemed like I was taken backwards in time. My long hair flowing unbound and wildly down my back. It was night, but it was also light because I was by a camp fire. Dancing not to Lonestar, but to tambourines and violins. I could smell the cooking of chicken over the fire, hear the shouts and cat calls of men. My hips moved in a seductive movement in time with the music. I could feel eyes boring into my back, so I turned... and became mesmerized with a pair of powerful, beautiful green eyes.

    That was all I could see of the man hidden within the shadows of a wagon. They impaled me, sending shivers through my body. But they were shivers that felt good. I felt like I knew him some how. I winked saucily at him, and crooked my finger for him to come closer. I saw white teeth flash in the darkness, and he unfolded himself until he was standing to his full height, to which I judged to be at least six feet tall. He came to stand in front of me. His arms wrapped around me, and his hands settled on my waist. And I threw my arms around his neck as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Our hip started to move together, in time with the music. We were soon dancing around the camp fire, our bodies moving wild and free. Twisting and turning we went, round and round. The music suddenly picked up in tempo, one last final spin from me, and a dramatic dip at the end, with his head an inch from my heaving bosom.

    We stood up, and our eyes locked. Green eyes met hazel, my breath hitched, and his stopped. I could feel my heart pounding with the same rhythm as his, and i knew instictively that this man was mine for the taking. He would do anything I asked him to do, because... he loved me. And, even though I couldn't see his face, I knew that I loved him too.

    Suddenly I had the overwhelming urge to tease him. Sliding my body from his arms, I ran. Away from the campfire, and away from my lover. Laughing gleefully as I went,  I felt his persual behind me. I looked back,  but no one was there. I furrowed my brow in confusion. Where was he? I turned back around and ran smack into something hard, and down I went....