Chapter 11: Winter Wonderland

Chapter 11:

I’m walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland… were the words that ran through my mind.

Snow was everywhere, covering the ground, in the trees. It was beautiful, but hauntingly beautiful, like time was frozen.

Laughing, I tore out of Alex’s arms, and jumped in the snow, rolling around in it, finally landing on my back. I started scissoring my arms and legs, making a Christmas Angel in the Snow.

There was a thump, and Alex’s hand found mine in the snow. He gathered me to him, and I let him, burying my face in his chest and inhaled his warm musky scent.

"Why are you so happy?" he asked, his chest rumbling with the question.

"Because," I told him, smiling. "I just stepped into Narnia,"

He pulled back and looked at me inquisitively.

"Narnia?" he asked me, the puzzlement evident in his tone. "What is Narnia?"

I laughed gaily, twisting out of his arms, and jumping to my feet.

"Narnia is a place of centaurs, fauns, and mythical beings," I explained quietly. "A place of magic, and where two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve will come to fight the evil queen…,"

I twirled around to look back at Alex. He was leaning casually against a tree, his arms crossed.

"You’ve lost me I’m afraid," he admitted, unfurling from his comfortable position, and coming to stand in front of me.

I tilted my head up to look at him, then cocked it sideways, like a curious child.

"Guess C.S Lewis novels don’t make it here huh?"

He shook his head, and bent down to kiss me.

His lips were cold when they met mine, and I gasped as his warm tongue penetrated my lips, the contrast shocking.

He drew my breath into his body, and I let him. He kissed me until I was breathless.

When he pulled back, I opened my eyes to stare in his eyes.

They were a deep green.

"Hey!" I muttered, peering at his face closer. "Why are your eyes green, I thought they were ice blue,"

He pulled away from me, gave an embarrassed smile, and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

"Um, well when my eyes are green it symbolizes that I am… um….," he trailed off, not finding the right word.

"Aroused?" I supplied helpfully, a blush spreading its way across my cheeks.

"Yea! And when they are blue, I’m amused, or happy,"

I nodded in understanding.

There was suddenly a jingle of bells, and both Alex and I spun around, looking for a source.

A man suddenly burst out of the bushes, and tackled Alex to the ground.

I gasped as Alex and the masked man fought, and I reacted instinctively. I ran over to the grappling pair, and noticed the masked man’s sword had fallen to the ground.

I grabbed it, and slid the sword from its sheath. The handle was encrusted with red rubies, and the blade sparkled as it if it had never been used. I expected it to be cool to the touch, but to my surprise, it was warm, as if it responded to me.

I lifted it, and it was surprisingly light. Before I knew what I was doing, I had the sword at the attacker’s neck.

"Be still, or I will kill you," I whispered, but I knew he heard me, because he froze where he was. "Alex, get out from under him,"