chapter 20

“I’m sorry I took off.” Jay breathed against my lips and I smiled.

“As long as you’re here now, that’s all that matters.” I whispered back.

“Okay, okay. Come on guys, do you not think this is awkward for me?!” Max teased from the other side of the car. He was leant against the side, chuckling at us.

“Sorry mate…” Jay laughed, taking a piece of my hair in his fingers and beginning to fiddle with it.

“Are you sure you have to stay here?” I asked, frowning slightly.

“Yeah… You’ll be fine with Max, don’t worry.” He replied with a smile.

“I know but I’ll miss you…” I moaned and he smiled again in return.

“I’ll miss you too but you need to get going, I’m only a call away and I’ll see you in New York in a couple of days.”

“Okay…” I agreed, pecking him quickly on the lips again before pulling him into a hug.

“I love you.” I whispered in his ear.

“I love you more.” He whispered back and pulled away from him.

“FINALLY.” Max teased, smirking as he slipped back into the car.

“See you soon.” I said quietly, giving Jay a quick wave before climbing into the car and closing the door. He appeared next to the window and made a hand heart before pointing to me.

“Love you too.” I said, knowing he could hear me.

“You two are really soppy…” Max said, smirking because he knew Jay could hear him too. “Let’s get outta’ here.” He put the car into drive, pulling away and I watched as Jay got smaller and smaller in my wing mirror.

“So was that planned or…?” Max asked and I smiled, shaking my head.

“I thought I wasn’t going to see him again till New York but obviously he had other ideas.” I smiled, looking into my lap and blushing slightly. I saw him nod from the corner of my eye and then we accelerated further into the night.

“You should get your head down, you need to rest and we’ve got a long journey ahead of us.” He replied and I nodded slowly, closing my eyes and almost instantly falling into a world where life was normal again… Into my dream world.

The next twenty-four hours was a whirlwind of gas stations, Coke bottles and deep fried food with a hint of loud music and raucous laughter. It was pretty helpful that Max never got tired because he just drove and drove and drove, never needing a break or a coffee and whenever we did stop it was mostly for me or because he needed the toilet which didn’t happen that often either.

“Okay last stop for some dinner and then you need to get some sleep.” Max said, pulling into yet another service station and parking up.

“Where are we?” I asked as we got out of the car and Max locked it before we started walking towards the small shop.

“We’re just about to cross the border between Nebraska and Iowa. We’re in a place called Omaha.” He explained and I nodded, recognising the names of the places.

“So we’re heading out on… Route 80?” I asked and he nodded at me, smiling. 

He pushed the door of the shop open and then held it for me as I walked in, gesturing for me to grab what I wanted. I picked up a coffee from the small instant machine and a bag of pickled onion Monster Munches before meeting him back at the counter.

“Is that all you want? We won’t be stopping until breakfast?”

“I’m fine, I’ve had enough food for today.” I laughed and he smiled as I put it on the counter.