23

Deceit and Logan rushed over to Virgil, kneeling down beside him. Fear and horror began to fill Deceit as he saw just how much Depression could affect the sides. Virgil looked completely lifeless. His eyes were staring up towards the sky, no emotion in them at all. 

      "Virgil..." Deceit's voice was a whisper. He swallowed thickly, before shaking Virgil in an attempt to snap him out of this colorless, lifeless state. "Virgil, snap out of it!" 

      When Virgil didn't acknowledge him, Deceit raised his hand to slap him, hoping that this would be enough to snap him out of it. Logan quickly reached out and grabbed his hand before Deceit had a chance to move his hand.

      "Deceit, stop it. Just calm down. Slapping him won't fix anything."

      Deceit hesitated for a moment before lowering his hand. He glared at Logan for a moment, before his gaze lowered to the floor. "What are we supposed to do," he asked. "Virgil is out for the count, and I assume that the others are as well. The only ones who haven't been affected are me, you, and..." His eyes went wide as he realized something. "Remus! Remus is going to be his next target!"

      Logan just stared at Deceit for a moment, before getting to his feet. "Go find him," he ordered. "Depression most likely won't attack him if you are with him. I'll take Virgil home and meet up with you."

      Deceit hesitated for a bit, before nodding, knowing that this was the best idea they had. "Okay. I'll be at our house." He was feeling weary from speaking truthfully, but this was a desperate time that called for him to avoid speaking the way he usually did to avoid confusion.

      He watched as Logan picked the lifeless boy up, before turning away from him and walking the way they had come, watching Imagination slowly slip back into view, emerging from the never-ending darkness.

      The two went their separate ways: Logan towards the light side's part of Thomas's mind and Deceit back towards the dark side's. His worry for Remus only grew by the minute. He knew that he hadn't been gone for long, but it was definitely enough time for Depression to take Remus out as well.

      The mind palace came into view, and Deceit sped up, making his way into the house. He paused in the doorway, hearing absolutely nothing.

      It scared him.

      He began to rush towards Remus's room, calling out his name. The panic he felt grew by the moment, and he was suddenly aware of how Virgil constantly felt. He burst into Remus's room, glancing around. His eyes soon fell on Remus, and he stifled a gasp.

      Like the other sides, the once lively and hyper male was laying on the floor, the color drained from him. He stared up towards the ceiling lifelessly. It was impossible to see where the gray streak in his hair had been. He looked a lot like Roman now, minus the smudges where his makeup was and the mustache.

      It broke Deceit's heart to see what had been done to Remus. He hated Depression, absolutely hated him. He knew that it was now up to him and Logan to take the corruption down before he caused even more damage.

      And yet, there was a small voice in the back of his head telling him that he should take care of this himself. Leave Logan to tend to the sides who have been taken down. Deceit could do this himself, if he wanted. He wasn't going to allow Depression to take out the last two sides who were protecting Thomas. Without them, he knew that Thomas wouldn't last.

      Deceit gently picked Remus up and set him in the bed, before turning away and making his way out of the room. He began to wrack his brain, trying to figure out where Depression would be. 

      "Come out, Ress," he shouted, shooting his gaze around. He let out a hiss when no one appeared, though he hadn't expected this to work. 

      He began to pace for a moment, not knowing what to do. He didn't know how to find him or track him down. Finally, he let out a frustrated growl, before deciding that maybe that know it all Logan would know where Depression was. 

      Deceit turned and stalked out of the mind palace into the forest in imagination where they were located, looking around for any sign of Depression as he walked. He thought he had saw a flash of gray, and he turned, just in time to see Depression disappearing among the trees. He let out a faint hiss and began to follow him. 

      Every so often he would catch a small flash of the male, and each time he would speed up until he was literally sprinting after him. "Depression stop!" 

      Depression didn't listen. Soon they were deep into Imagination, the terrain around them unfamiliar. Deceit slowed a little and looked around for a moment, cursing when he realized that he was lost. 

      It only took a few moments for everything to have gone downhill. In an instant, Deceit was shoved off balance, and he fell to the ground hard. Depression was on him in an instant. He pinned Deceit to the ground, placing his hands on his temple. He had a twisted grin on his face as he glared down at him.

      "I couldn't wait to get my hands on you," he spat. "I've been wanting to take you out for a long time, and now I finally have my chance to do it!" Deceit struggled briedly, but he couldn't break free. 

      "I wish I could drag this out, but I still have to take out Logan," Depression said. "Goodbye, Deceit." His smirk was the last thing Deceit saw before memory after memory burst into his head. 

      The memories seemed to go on forever. Most were memories that Deceit would have rather forgotten. That he had tried his hardest to forget. 

      Deceit was jerked out of the memories, distantly aware of a scream. He was shaking violently, and he felt...off. It took a moment for him to finally pulled himself together. Depression was no longer overtop of him. Deceit pushed himself up, gasping as he saw Depression on the ground, Roman's sword through him. 

      And nearby, there was the killer, a mixture of horror and regret on his face.