6

Virgil's hands began to tremble as he picked up the note. He instantly recognized the handwriting, as he had lived with the person who was behind it for years until he decided to join the light sides.

      It was from Deceit. 

      Virgil began to read the note, his anxiety growing by the second.

      Dear Virgil,

      We miss you so very much. The mind palace hasn't been the same since you left. I hope you're having a great time with your new, cooler friends. They're certainly a better influence than us lowly "Dark Sides". How are you getting along with everyone? I'm sure they've forgotten by now that you used to be one of us. 

      Oh yeah, Depression is back, by the way. He's as lovely as ever. He's angry over what you had done to him. I'd watch my back if I were you. He seems dead-set on getting revenge. I don't really blame him, though. If I were locked away by the only person I trusted I would be pretty angry too. I'll try my best to get him to calm down, but you know how he is. 

      Remus misses you, by the way. He told me to tell you that. He wishes that things could go back to normal so that you two could torment Thomas just like old times. He really wants to come to visit you, but you know how we would be treated if we went there. 

      We hope to see you soon. 

      -Deceit

      "Did you find anything?"

      Virgil jumped and whirled around, hiding the note behind his back as he heard Roman's voice. 

      "Oh, uh...no, not yet." He could practically imagine Deceit's glee when he lied. "It's probably nothing. We can go ahead and go back to watching the movie, if you'd like."

      Roman looked as if he didn't believe Virgil. His eyes narrowed slightly when he noticed that Virgil was hiding something, and the younger trait felt a spike in his panic. Luckily, Roman didn't comment on it.

     "Yeah, alright," he agreed. "But if something is ever bothering you, you can always let me know. I can slay whatever foul beast that you need me to!" He whipped out his samurai sword, striking a pose. 

      "Whatever you  say, Princey." Virgil rolled his eyes, forcing down the smile that threatened to form on his face. He ushered the prince out of his room, stuffing the note in his hoodie pocket when his back was turned. The two made their way back to the living room. 

      Virgil settled down on the couch, unable to hide the smile that once again threatened to form when he saw Patton and Logan. Patton was cuddled up to the other trait, a fond smile on his face. He had his head on his shoulder, and was snoring softly. Logan meanwhile had flushed cheeks, and was running his fingers through Patton's soft hair. He paused when he saw Virgil looking at them.

      "This doesn't mean what you think it does,"Logan informed him, turning his gaze towards the ground. "He fell asleep on me, and I decided that it would help him stay sleeping." After a moment he added, "I'm not as heartless as what you all think I am. I do get feelings, as much as I hate to admit it."

      Roman settled down on the couch beside Virgil, stretching out. Virgil tried to make himself smaller as he did this, not really wanting contact at the moment. He had a mischievous glimmer in his eyes. 

      "Oh I don't believe that. It looks like you actually care about him!"

      Logan gave him a puzzled look. "Isn't that what I just said? I did say that I'm not heartless, right?"

      "Well yeah, but you also said that that meant nothing." Roman gestured towards them. "You have feelings for him! Romantic feelings!"

      Virgil gave him a surprised look. Sure, what they were doing could be considered a little more intimate, but he wouldn't go as far as saying that Logan liked Patton that way. He wasn't really sure if he even had it in him to feel that way. 

      Logan's cheeks flushed lightly. "Falsehood. I don't figuratively hold those feelings for Patton. Sure, I admire him sometimes, but I don't love him."

      Roman rolled his eyes. "For someone who's really smart, you sure are stupid. And you don't have to say figuratively; I know that you aren't literally holding feelings." There was the snotty tone that Virgil didn't like. "How do you feel when you're around him?"

      Logan was silent for a moment as he gathered his thoughts. "Well, I guess I feel---I don't know, emotions aren't my strong suit!" That definitely was made clear; Virgil could see how uncomfortable Logan seemed to be.

      He turned to Roman, covering his mouth before the prince could continue to question Logan. "Princey, leave him alone. Can't you see how uncomfortable he is?" He wrinkled his nose as Roman licked his hand, but didn't pull it away. 'Is that seriously the best you could think of? When Remus would--" He cut himself off.

      The atmosphere seemed to change at the mention of the darker side of creativity. Virgil drew his hand back, wiping it on his jeans. They had never spoken about the others for as long as he had been with the light sides. It was almost a taboo subject. 

      "I'm sorry," Virgil apologized, keeping his voice soft as to not wake up Patton. "I shouldn't have mentioned him. Let's keep watching the movie."

      Roman opened his mouth to say something, then seemed to have thought better than to say it. He turned to the TV and unpaused the movie.

      None of them were paying attention, though.

      Virgil had once again gone and messed up.