22

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! I'll try to be more consistent.

      Depression turned away, having fulfilled his goal. There was one less side in his way, which means that realistically he only had to take out a couple more before Thomas was completely gone. Logan was the only one he couldn't affect, though without the other sides he wouldn't be able to keep Thomas going. That was when Depression was going to take over. 

      There was a small part of him that felt bad for his brother. They were once close, and Depression was once devoted to him. But apparently Virgil didn't feel the same. 

      Depression would've done anything for him. He would've killed all of the other sides if it made his brother happy. Virgil used to have been with him through thick and thin, and Depression did the same for Virgil. 

      But then he had betrayed him, leaving Depression alone. He left him wondering what he had done wrong, wondering why Virgil suddenly hated him. He hated himself. He completely tore himself apart, searching for what had driven Virgil off. He was in a dark place for a long time. 

      Everything changed when he realized that it wasn't his fault. He just wanted what was best for both Virgil and himself. But because Virgil for some reason cared about Thomas and the other sides more than he cared about his brother, he had betrayed him. 

      Depression's anger and hatred grew ever since this realization. He wanted to get back at Virgil, to make him feel the feelings that he had felt while he had been locked away. He couldn't do anything until he finally got out, though. 

      And then Virgil's power weakened. The darkness that had Depression trapped in its jaws eventually lost its hold on him, and he was able to break free. Then, he set his plan in motion.

      It was simple, really. All of the sides had something they were insecure about, even Logan. Depression picked out the easiest targets first, those being Patton, Roman, and Virgil. He slowly chipped away at them, eating at their self-confidence. He targeted their insecurities, confirming what they thought about themselves. They couldn't deny what he had told him.

      All of them were rather quiet about what was happening, which made things better for Depression. It just allowed him to build on their negative thoughts until finally he had his chance to break them completely. 

      He had succeeded, just as he thought he was going to. His plan was working perfectly. Now he was on his way to get rid of Remus and Deceit. After that he would try to take out Logan, though he knew the other male would be difficult to get rid of compared to the others. If anything, he could take the harder route of getting rid of him manually instead of breaking him. That wouldn't be as satisfying, but he could deal with it.

      Slowly imagination began to appear out of the darkness. A smirk formed on Depression's face as he made his way towards the Dark Side's mind palace. Soon everything would be in place for him to take over. 

***

       Deceit was on edge. He could tell that something was horribly wrong. Remus's current state was scaring him. The male wasn't himself at all. He had no energy, and his eyes were devoid of any emotion. He was never like this.

      Deceit had no idea what to do. He knew who had caused this, but he didn't know what to do or how to find him. He wished that Virgil was here; he knew his brother more than anyone. He would be able to easily help them figure out how to stop Depression.

      Part of Deceit felt responsible for this. If he had treated Depression better, if he had included him...maybe this could have all been prevented. 

      But why should he take care of someone who was just a corruption, someone who technically shouldn't exist as a part of Thomas? Someone who was just a disorder? Depression would've done nothing but harm Thomas, as this exact situation proves. He could only imagine the state that Thomas was in at the moment. 

      He reached out and gently ruffled Remus's hair. Though he wouldn't admit it, he was fond of the dirty-minded side. He sighed softly, knowing what he would have to do if he wanted to save Remus and the others. First, he would need to find Virgil and Logan. 

      "I won't be right back," he told Remus, who gave a slight nod in response to his words. Deceit hesitated for a moment, before leaning in and gently kissed his cheek. Remus had a shocked look on his face as Deceit turned away and quickly left the mind palace. 

      Deceit took a deep breath, his cheeks slightly flushed from what he had just done. He quickly shook this off, though, knowing that he had to focus. He hurried as he made his way to the light sides' mind palace, knowing that they most likely didn't have much time before Depression came back to strike once more. 

      He soon arrived and knocked on the door, hearing a bark inside, as well as footsteps. A few moments later Logan showed up, looking worried. Behind him yapped a small puppy who was trying to get out. Logan blocked the doorway, though, not allowing it out. Deceit could see Patton and Roman in the background, colorless and lifeless. His breath caught in his throat.

      "Logan, I don't need your and Virgil's help. I don't know what's going on. Depression is not causing all of this...he's not doing something to Thomas, and we don't need to stop him before he does anything permanent." 

      Logan got a troubled look on his face, and he adjusted his tie. "Virgil is not here," he said. "He ran off without telling me anything." 

      Deceit just stared at him for a moment, his heart dropping. He knew exactly what Virgil was doing. He turned away, racking his mind for places that Virgil could be. He swallowed thickly, before speaking. "We need to go, now. Virgil can't handle Res on his own." 

      "We can't just look spontaneously. We need to have some sort of direction," Logan pointed out.

      Deceit took a deep breath as he looked towards him, struggling to continuously speak the truth. "Well, I have no idea where he is, and I'm sure you don't either. So either we look randomly, or we don't look at all." 

      Logan opened his mouth to speak, before a curse slipped out when the dog darted outside. The puppy ran a little ways away, before pausing to sniff the air. It looked back towards them and barked. 

      It took far too long for Deceit to realize what it wanted. "I--I think it wants us to follow it. Maybe it could help us find Virge!"

      Logan looked dubious, before groaning. "I guess that's the best idea we have, even if it is utterly ridiculous. Let's go." The two of them walked towards the dog, who sniffed the air and began to walk towards a place that Deceit had never been before. 

      Slowly, the scenery faded away until it turned black. Surprisingly he could still see Logan and the dog. His eyes darted around anxiously, until the fell on a familiar form, one that was completely devoid of color. 

      "Virgil!"